Altronics solder - any good?

Has any one experience with the Altronics noname Pb/Sn solder, does it work
ok? Flux ok?

Just wanted to check before I put down my $50.......

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=T1115

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

**It might be very good solder, BUT, why wouldn't you just buy Multicore
solder from RS Components? It'll cost you a couple of Bucks more, but I've
never had a problem with the stuff. For a few cents more than that, you can
buy the 'Savbit' stuff. It's all I use. I've tried some of the cheap stuff
and experienced good and bad results. For my money, I'd rather pay a few
Dollars more for guaranteed decent solder.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

"Trevor Wilson"

** The RS code is:  554 939

 Multicore "Savbit"  resin cored solder, 500gms in 1.2 mm diameter.

 Pb = 48.5%   Sn  = 50%   Cu  = 1.5%

 $24.00 + gst and free delivery for on-line orders.

 Been using it for decades.

....  Phil

Re: Altronics solder - any good?
no need to buy savbit if  you have a quality soldering iron like  " goot :"
with a long life tip

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

:no need to buy savbit if  you have a quality soldering iron like  " goot :"
:with a long life tip

Even good quality iron-clad tips will benefit from using Savbit.

Back in the 60's before Savbit hit the shores of Oz our soldering irons were on
8 hours a day every day and standard copper tips would have to be constantly
refurbished and replaced every few weeks. After Savbit arrived the same tips
would last around 6 months or more. When iron-clad tips became the norm you only
had to replace the tips once every couple of years depending on use.

:
:
:>
:> "Trevor Wilson"
:>> Dennis wrote:
:>>> Has any one experience with the Altronics noname Pb/Sn solder, does
:>>> it work ok? Flux ok?
:>>>
:>>> Just wanted to check before I put down my $50.......
:>>>
:>>> http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=T1115
:>>
[...]

"Ross Herbert"

**See link:

https://www1.elfa.se/data1/wwwroot/assets/datasheets/M-POFA_eng_datasheet.pdf

The graph for "breakage time" of 0.067mm copper wire is interesting.

I sometimes need to resolder the hair fine wires as used in microphone
diaphragms and reverb tank drive coils  -   the wire is enamelled copper of
about 0.03mm dia and resistance of about 50 ohms per metre.

A hot, well whetted iron tip must be applied long enough to burn off the
enamel coating, but not too long or there is soon no wire left  !!!

There is a table showing Savbit as having a tensile strength of 3.5 tons per
sq inch.

....  Phil

Re: Altronics solder - any good?
hi, but what situation would require :" There is a table showing Savbit as
having a tensile strength of 3.5 tons per
sq inch.

:"

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

"no one"

** Relative to the other solders - it is close to the best.

Tensile strength affects the chance of cracks developing in joints under
mechanical stress.

I see solder joints under mechanical stress every day - and I see the
results of it too.

Happens whenever anything heavy is held onto a PCB by solder pads alone -
ie large electros, small transformers,  WW resistors and TO220 transistors
mounted proud of the board etc.

....  Phil

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

Brilliant.  I have learnt so much from these posts on solder than I
ever knew before.
I never knew there was so much involved, that I never before thought
of.

Thank you for all this info.

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

Brilliant.  I have learnt so much from these posts on solder than I
ever knew before.
I never knew there was so much involved, that I never before thought
of.

Thank you for all this info.

Moving off topic a little, the below is an interesting post I've lifted from
rec.crafts.metalworking about one guys experience with soldering
aluminium or aluminum as the yanks call it:

I've used "aluminum solder" in the past that was worthless. A few
years ago I bought some aluminum solder at the local hardware store.
that looks like the sticks were poured in a thin stream onto a plate
where it cooled into an approximately half round cross section. It
came in a plastic tube with, I think, the Forney brand name.  Anyway,
the stuff just sat around with my other welding and brazing rods until
a couple weeks ago when a customer needed some aluminum joined with a
low temperature (compared to welding) process.

As an experiment I first soldered together two pieces of 6061 1/2" x 1/2" x
1/8" angle.
After soldering the pieces at 90 degrees to each other I clamped one
piece in the vise and tried bending the other piece. I was able to
bend the angle over 90 degrees without the joint failing! I am most
impressed with the stuff.

This is the method I used:
Cleaned both pieces very well so they were grease free.
Used a toothbrush sized stainless wire brush to remove oxide layer.
Heated the metal until the solder started to flow and then used the
brush again through the molten solder to remove any remaining or newly
formed oxide layer. This second brushing allowed the solder to
completely wet the aluminum.
After tinning (aluminuming?) both pieces I pressed them together and
heated until the solder flowed and continued holding until the solder
solidified.

Long explanation for a quick job. After the aluminum is wetted the
solder is workable enough with a hot pointed flame that it can be
built up into large fillets or to fill large holes. If you can fill
holes with plumbing solder, either the old leaded kind or the newer
silver and/or antinomy bearing kind, then you can use the aluminum
solder for the same thing too.
Eric

Re: Altronics solder - any good?
"Dennis"

(snip)

** The exact same product was sold here as " Lumiweld"  -  I bought some
sticks back in the early 1990s.

Not strictly a normal solder, but an alloy that mixes ( at the right temp)
with pure aluminium and many aluminium alloys to form a new alloy with a
lower melting point.

I used it with thin aluminium tubes ( model 2 stroke mufflers) and thicker
aluminium headers.

You need a good heat source or maybe two - ie hand held gas torch and gas
stove burner.

Get the preparations and temp right and it works like a charm.

Can even be used to " solder " stainless to stainless.

....  Phil

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

"Phil Allison"

** The addition of 1.5% copper to the alloy reduces the melting point and
increases both mechanical strength and resistance to thermal cycling cracks.

It also DRAMATICALLY reduces the tendency for the solder to dissolve fine
copper tracks and wires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder#Alloying_element_roles

See the table on Solder Alloys under Savbit (right hand column).

The Ersin flux used is one of the best too, solders tarnished leads better
than any other.

....  Phil

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

Cheers Trevour & Phil. The RS price is much better than Farnell too. I
remember when buying from RS was a last resort, nowadays they are often
cheaper than other suppliers I use.
Thanks

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

"Dennis"

** Element 14 ( aka Farnell) want  $39.17 + for the same thing.

But it hardly matters as a 500gm reel lasts me for such a long time.

...  Phil

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

True

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

**Now that is interesting.

**Indeed. I see no reason why anyone would use anything else.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

"Trevor Wilson"

** Well, Multicore's Savbit has been on continuous sale for over 50 years  -
so it  DESERVED a mention on Wiki.

I have a 500gm reel of 60/40 with " no clean " flux and a 250gm reel of  "
lead free "  that are only suitable for paper weights IMO.

.... Phil

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

I like using 511 crystal flux for hand smd stuff, wets very nicely and you
can get away without cleaning sometimes. Oh, it smells good too, I can't
describe it but its a pleasant smell.

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

Ironically, the 1.2mm  Savbit from RS is actually a couple of $
cheaper than the Altronics solder.

When you take into account the free freight for online orders via RS,
it is a LOT cheaper.

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

Ironically, the 1.2mm  Savbit from RS is actually a couple of $
cheaper than the Altronics solder.

When you take into account the free freight for online orders via RS,
it is a LOT cheaper.

I think the Altronics one is 1Kg & the RS one is 500g.
The RS free freight is a good incentive.

Site Timeline