Altronics headset info?

I have acquired an Altronics C9063 headset - unused - which has been "modified"
to use 2.5mm and 3.5mm connectors.  Unfortunately the mod hasn't worked, and to
try and sort it I would like confirmation of the colour coding of the individual
cables within the lead to the headset.  Yeah, I know, I should be able to sort
it with a multimeter, but having the info would assist.

Anyone have this info (which Altronics won't divulge)?

TIA

Re: Altronics headset info?

individual

RED = right, GRN = left and WTE = common

Is that what you mean?

Re: Altronics headset info?

"modified"
individual

Indeed it is.  That leaves only Black for mic - unusual??

Brad would come in handy right now ...

Re: Altronics headset info?

"modified"
individual

Except that this unit has Red, Black, Green and Blue, plus braid  :-(

Re: Altronics headset info?

"modified"
individual
sort

Send
http://www.ozgear.com.au /
an email - never know - they might be helpful...

Re: Altronics headset info?

i love this sort of tripe. we wont help unless you pay us dollars.

mine is a c9073 with a helicopter boom mike.

the speakers in each ear have red wires and white wires to them.
from the volume potentiometer there is a red wire to the speakers and
a green wire that goes to the leads.
there is a white wire out of the leads that goes to a speaker solder
tab.

there is what looks to be a fat blue electrolytic capacitor marked
v300k7 among other things.
on one leg of the cap is a grey wire from the boom and a red wire from
the leads.
on the other leg of the cap is a white wire from the boom and a blue
wire from the leads. (the cap has two wires on each leg.)

the speaker in the leads earpiece has two red wires on one tab and two
white wires on the other tab.

hopefully that is enough info to get it working.

...now to screw it back together.
Stealth Pilot

Re: Altronics headset info?

individual

It's shite, isn't it.  And in this case, even though they repair them, it just
*might* be because they don't actually know.  Reason:  it seems the colours used
in the main lead aren't constant.  The leetle chinois factory must be grabbing
whatever four-core-'n-sheath they can.  Yours has a white (plus red,bleu and
green) where mine has a black.

It certainly makes sense.  I've tried driving this thing with audio to the
green-black (your white?) pair but the level I get is barely discernible with
the pot wound right up.  Nothing else meters out with a DC resistance.

Pulled off the heatshrink that was inside the 3.5mm, found the dipstick who
assembled this was world-class.  The white (return) went to the centre pin, the
red was floating but had probably been making contact with something inside the
heatshrink, while the braid went to the connector sleeve.  At the splice, the
braid and white were commoned - which I expected - but driving it at the 3.5mm
connector was driving a short at the splice.

Surprising really, as the splice work was real neat.  Hang on, the splice was
*original*, the connector replacement was the aftermarket cockup.  Now to check
the electret mic works properly, having focussed on Rx audio up till now.

Crikey, Stealth,  you didn't need to pull it apart.  I was hoping someone
actually had one in bits or had the info written down already.  Many thanks for
your endeavour.  And how did you get into the speakers?  This set (Mk II) seems
all glued/welded.

P.S.  Heard anything from Andrew P. of recent year?

Re: Altronics headset info?

been through the pain of a broken wire myself.
in the end I paid altronics to fix it. they evidently put all new
leads on and it hasnt had a glitch since.

take the gell seal off and carefully pull out the foam.
there is a layer of foam over the speaker, a donut of foam around it
and a piece of foam under it.
the speaker screws in place with two screws on dog ears. it is simple.

btw I use dave clark gel seals on mine :-)

I heard third hand a while back that he was flying for a small airline
out of some south pacific island nation and having a ball.

Re: Altronics headset info?

Ahh - keyhole surgery.  Makes sense.  Never needed to get that far in.

Note to self: remember that for down the track.

He would.  Good upon him.  Want to catch up though, and it;'s impossible to
track the bugger down.

Many tnx for your help.

Re: Altronics headset info?

when you put the dave clark seals on they will initially be so tight
that you may want to cut them to make the hole bigger to get them to
fit.
DONT CUT THEM.
it stuffs them up totally.
They do actually fit although it is a bit snug initially.

would you believe it. today my passenger headset developed a darn wire
break.
I'll just have to shorten a lead and resolder.
since it is a hybrid of three manufacturers efforts cant see anyone
actually fixing it for me.

bose helicopter headset speakers in some english cheapie set with dave
clark ear seals.

Stealth Pilot

Re: Altronics headset info?

Have the plug wiring details for the C9060, C9063, C9070, C9072, C9073
microphone on the aviation headsets.

If still interested (I know it's a month ago) let me know and I can give you
details.

Boozo.

Re: Altronics headset info?

Thanks for the offer, but Stealth gave me enough info to suss out what the
previous owner (aka butcher) had done, and to undo it.

Site Timeline