Altronics Dynamic Sound Processor & Volume Leveller

Ref: Silicon Chip July 2010 page 76.

Anyone using one of these and care to comment about how well it works?

(It's a LOT of money and I want to be certain that it works as
advertised).

Thanks much.

Re: Altronics Dynamic Sound Processor & Volume Leveller

** One of these  - right ?

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&idA2%060

** Probably not.

But you should consider cheaper alternatives like:

http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&idBE%DSP1424P

The Altronics unit ( using analogue electronics only ) would have the
advantage of being very simple to operate.

....  Phil

Re: Altronics Dynamic Sound Processor & Volume Leveller

Thanks for your reply.  One of these:

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&idA3%800

Re: Altronics Dynamic Sound Processor & Volume Leveller

** That is  NOT  a product made by Altronics or branded as Altronics  -  as
your heading suggested.

  Looks like a real POS to me.

.....  Phil

Re: Altronics Dynamic Sound Processor & Volume Leveller

I never suggested it was made by Altronics nor branded by Altronics.
If you had checked the reference I gave in the original post you would
have seen that it was being advertised/sold by Altronics.

So I take it that you are not using one!

Thanks anyway. . .

Re: Altronics Dynamic Sound Processor & Volume Leveller

Don't know about that particular one, but they have used analog audio
levelling devices (called AVC - "automatic volume control") in AMI
Jukeboxes for some 50 years and the concept does work very well to
level out the difference in recording levels - particularly with CD's.

The only one potential issue I have noticed and to look out for with
ANY of these devices is that they may turn up to full volume
momentarily when you first start playing music after a period of
silence, (because they will "turn themselves up" to the highest volume
as there hasn't been a signal on the input) and then readjust the
volume downwards after a short period once audio starts.

If you are starting and stopping the music all the time, or using it
for announcements or speeches with long pauses in them this could be a
very annoying problem depending on the application.  If applicable, I
would check this out first, get the seller to give a demo or find out
if there is a money back satisfaction guarantee on the product.

[...]

My understanding is that companders, which I think started this thread, work
differently to AVC, which uses a closed loop to maintain a relatively steady
output level, and which do exhibit the behaviour described. Instead, they
apply a nonlinear algorithm to the waveform, so that the peaks are reduced
and the low amplitude stuff expanded in real time. In my distant past,
working with recording studios, we regularly put raw mixes through one to
produce output for media with low dynamic range, such as cassettes.

Re: Altronics Dynamic Sound Processor & Volume Leveller

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:34:19 +0800, "Noodnik"

Thanks for your replies.  In my case the intended use is with TV audio
to fix the extremely annoying audio level changes - particularly
between 'normal' programming and commercials.  (Some channel to
channel variations too.)  I am familiar with AVC and these days most
TV sets have a 'feature' which they may call "Auto Volume" or similar.
In my experience this feature does not work very well, if at all.  The
'compander' approach would seem to be a much more effective solution,
and that is what this device appears to be - supposedly in a very
effective implementation.  I'll do some more reading and, of course,
seek a "money back satisfaction guarantee" as suggested.  Thanks
again.

Site Timeline