Altium (Protel) Moves Global HQ to China - Page 3

Re: Altium (Protel) Moves Global HQ to China
Since I happened to have mentioned Dave Haynie here...

Turns out he's having a "garage sale" with lots of old Commodore stuff he
saved from the dumpsters (when they declared bankruptcy) and other stuff he
worked on over the years.  Intesting to see some old kinda-familiar hardware
and software:
http://shop.ebay.com/hazydave/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg25 %

I wonder when we'll be seeing some fo the SED regulars "garage sales" --
surely Keith must have an old transputer kicking around his garage and Joerg
must have a spare ultrasound machine or two... :-)

---Joel

Re: Altium (Protel) Moves Global HQ to China

No ultrasound machine here anymore :-)

Other stuff, yes, but I don't want to make money off of it. Or if I do
then for a good cause, not for myself. Hopefully people will start
handing over the important stuff before it's too late. Once an aging
nerd has passed away the heirs will in most cases just chuck it all into
a huge dumpster.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Altium (Protel) Moves Global HQ to China

I forgot to mention that -- Dave is donating "at least 50%" of the proceeds to
breast cancer research (Susa B. Kormen).

Re: Altium (Protel) Moves Global HQ to China

Good man.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Altium (Protel) Moves Global HQ to China

Yeah, just have look at the end of the driveway on garbage day D++ and
you'll get most of my stuff...

Re: Altium (Protel) Moves Global HQ to China

Most of such hardware is very old and outdated. I recently sold my
MSX2 computers. None of them worked after 20+ years.

Re: Altium (Protel) Moves Global HQ to China

Get a load of this (assume you can read some German), it was just
discussed in a German NG:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Zuse-Reparierer-verzweifelt-gesucht-1214866.html

For folks who can't read it: A university campus is looking for someone
who can maintain their Zuse Z22 computer because the only guy that could
do it so far has passed away. It's a tube computer, this kind:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/ZuseZ22BerlinTechnikMuseum.jpg

In the middle inside the main cabinet you can see the "hard drive" :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Altium (Protel) Moves Global HQ to China
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 13:14:47 -0700, "Joel Koltner"

Why would I have a transputer?  That was just another Europeon fad.  I do have
an original first-day-order IBM PC and (not so first day) expansion unit,
constantly getting in my way.  ;-)

Re: Altium (Protel) Moves Global HQ to China
On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 02:24:04 -0700 (PDT), "David L. Jones"

Are they shipping you over there too?

Re: Altium (Protel) Moves Global HQ to China
Just did a google on linkedin for altium employees, seems more than a
few including some of the architects have ended their employment in
april. Furthermore a lot of them have the "looking for work" tag set.

I'm not sure who they are planning on moving over there, but
experience shows that most people shipped off to india or china from
US/AU/EU return home within the first 6-9 months.

So I guess this time next year altium will either show signs of being
on track or filling for bankruptcy.

Site Timeline