Altering a .1" connector

My computer case connects with the motherboard using the "standard"
0.1" (?) pins on the board and the jumper style sockets from the front
panel of the case. However, the motherboard only has two adjacent pins
to connect the front panel power LED and the "socket" has three holes
with an unused hole between the two wires. Is there an _easy_ way to
solve this connection problem. An adapter that I can buy is fine. A
method of moving the socket from the outside to the centre would also
work. The socket does have an exposed portion in the centre but I have
failed to find a way of removing it from the plastic housing.

Re: Altering a .1" connector

I would be suprised if you can't move a pin in the 3 wire connector with
the right tool.

if not, sounds like the easiest way to do this is to make up an adapter
cable with two wires soldered between a male header and a female header.

see:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/home.php?cat33%0
for typical header pins that can be cut to size.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: Altering a .1" connector

If it is anything like the usual 0.1" "line sockets", the part of the metal
connector you see through the slot in the side is the barb which retains it in
the body.  Careful pressure on the barb with a fine screwdriver tip while
applying gentle extraction force on the cable invariabl;y works for me.

Re: Altering a .1" connector

The middle hole may be blocked if it is you'll have to unblock it,

there'll probably be (on the no-writing side of the plug) a liuttle flap
which you can lift with a pointed tool (needle, knifebladfe etc)
lift it a little and pull on the wire and the gold bit that fits onto the
pin should slide right out, just poke it in the middle hole, it should click.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Altering a .1" connector

click.

But it is rare these days to need to do that. Case connectors and
motherboard pins are usually fairly standard. Are you sure it is the right
lead and the correct pins you are trying to connect to?

MrT.

Site Timeline