alpha LED display

can anyone provide a pointer(s) for electronic display of a single
aphabetical character?

the only thing i've come up with so far is a matrix of LEDs with a micro
driving it (probably with a walking 1 scanning arrangement)

better, would be a 7 segment type display with solid 'bars' but nothing
comes up on ye ol' google

any help appreciated

Re: alpha LED display

There are LED dot-matrix displays which will do what you want. RS have them
(589-165). I've seen single LED displays with integral logic for
alpha-numeric display, but not for a while (not that I've looked) -
Kingfisher(?) or Adilam may have them (I'm pretty sure the latter at least
used to have them).

Cheers.

Ken

Re: alpha LED display

Do a search for 14 segment led displays.  Farnell sell them.  Try
this:
http://au.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/searchPage2.jsp?x30%&Ntt14%+segment&Nty=1&N40%1&Ntk=gensearch&y10 %

it may work.

Alan
Jenal Communications
Re: alpha LED display

Might sound grungy but DSE had a kit with a single digit alphanumeric
display which could be programmed with any combination of letters
or numbers.... Not sure if they still stock it but worth a try.

Re: alpha LED display

Look for 'starburst' displays.

-Andrew M