Aldi goodies

Today I bought a cute solid looking and feeling, lithium powered battery
drill, The trigger speed control is better than any others I have tried.
One strange thing is that the charger power supply is still wound
transformer type.It has a plug to the charger base 12v dc,so that means
I should be able to charge in the car. Now I just have to hope it does
not blow up soon, I have mixed success with aldi stuff, some things
excellent some not so.
They also had magnetic trays (2off),magnetic tool holders (2off)$10
And lots of other mechanical goodies.

Re: Aldi goodies

Good luck with it but IMO you get what you pay for so don't expect much.
Last battery tool I bought was a $700 Makita impact driver, dropped it
off the roof of a 2 story house, it barely got a scratch and still works
perfectly.

Daryl

Re: Aldi goodies

Got a Dewalt Cordless in 1994, for about $450 still use it all the
time, other than being on its 6th battery, still goes great.
Haven't dropped from a 2 storey house but did drop it about 3 metres
onto a floor once.

Re: Aldi goodies

I've only ever bought Makita and I am yet to be disappointed.  Just bought an
18 volt li-on to replace my 12 year old nicad drill which is still on its first
battery and works perfectly.  I just wanted a cordless hammer drill.

Fraser

Re: Aldi goodies

My makita battery drill no longer works as they stopped making the
batteries for it.

Re: Aldi goodies
mmm  sometimes you get what you pay for,, some times cheap battery drills
last longer.
got a  top of the range  AEG  drill $$$$$$$   within 3 months both batteries
died...... performance is a bit ???  bought  another brand    1/4 the price
, still going good 20 months later....

mmm what  did the drill land on , guarantee it didnt land on concrete ;;
:-)

Re: Aldi goodies

AEG aren't regarded as quality tools any more regardless of the price,
they used to be good but not any more.

  within 3 months both batteries

Concrete pavers, most of the power tools used by the blokes I work with
are trade grade Makita or the occasional Dewalt,  a few blokes have
tried other brands like Hitachi, Bosch and Milwaukee but nothing
survives the harsh treatment of daily tradie use as well as Makita.

Daryl

Re: Aldi goodies

Panasonic probably make the best cordless drill but bring your wallet.  For the
money Makita can't be beaten.

Fraser

Re: Aldi goodies

used to be good but not any more.
trade grade Makita or the occasional Dewalt,  a few
survives the harsh treatment of daily tradie use as
the money Makita can't be beaten.

Hilti seems popular in Europe, never had one so I can't comment either way.

Re: Aldi goodies
used to be good but not any more.
trade grade Makita or the occasional Dewalt,  a few
survives the harsh treatment of daily tradie use as
the money Makita can't be beaten.
My really big impact is about 15 years old , a Hilti and still going
strong driving 75mm core cutters most eveyday

--

Re: Aldi goodies

Picked a Hilti case in the verge collection a few months back - thought the
case might be good for storage.

It contained the Hilti drill, vary speed / reversing + hammer, about 10mm
capacity, two batteries, the charger and the user manual.

It works fine and has done quite a bit of work for me in the last 3 months.
Very pleased!

Re: Aldi goodies

Great score.  Have a look online to see what it is worth for a laugh.  Some
people have more money than sense if they can throw that away.  Pissed off wife
prehaps?

Fraser

Re: Aldi goodies
Lucky bugger:-)

Daryl

Re: Aldi goodies
used to be good but not any more.
trade grade Makita or the occasional Dewalt,  a few
survives the harsh treatment of daily tradie use as
the money Makita can't be beaten.
Popular here as well but very expensive, my electrician nephew has a
Hilti rotary hammer drill which is excellent but it wasn't exactly cheap.
Hilti have a lease scheme where you just make a monthly payment and they
replace the tools with new ones every couple of years, its not a bad way
of getting the use of good tools if you don't have the cash up front but
no matter how long you lease them you never own them.

Daryl

Re: Aldi goodies

When it comes to drilling concrete you really can't go past Hilti.  Great
stuff. My old man used to have a stack of them.  I wonder if he still does.

Fraser

Re: Aldi goodies
Drilling concrete or masonry isn't something I do often so I didn't want
to spend a lot of money on rotary hammer drill so I bought a cheapie.
Its an Ozito which so far has worked very well, I doubt it would last
all that long if used every day but its very good for the rare occasions
I need it.

Daryl

Re: Aldi goodies
My Hitachi costs about 500 for the basic 18v kit , I assume you realise
pay for what you get applies so the Aldi wont last in anything but toy use ?

--

Re: Aldi goodies

$69 for this one, But I bought two 18 volt drills from Aldi about six
years ago for $24 each,they have had a new battery a couple of years
ago, one is still going like a train,(can't fault them except for
batteries) but I can not get more new batteries and to rebuild them
costs heaps.
If this one lasts as well I will be satisfied.Even if the batteries go I
can probably still rig something up as they look like they have 18650
size built in the pack, which are easy to get and cheaper than NiCd
As long as this drill is as good mechanically as my old ones it will be
all right.

Re: Aldi goodies
You may well find ebay/us will find batteries , locally battery world
wanted 320 ex for two for the Hitachi , 164 laneded from the us

--

Re: Aldi goodies

: >>> Today I bought a cute solid looking and feeling, lithium powered battery
: >>> drill, The trigger speed control is better than any others I have tried.
: >>> One strange thing is that the charger power supply is still wound
: >>> transformer type.It has a plug to the charger base 12v dc,so that means
: >>> I should be able to charge in the car. Now I just have to hope it does
: >>> not blow up soon, I have mixed success with aldi stuff, some things
: >>> excellent some not so.
: >>> They also had magnetic trays (2off),magnetic tool holders (2off)$10
: >>> And lots of other mechanical goodies.
: >> My Hitachi costs about 500 for the basic 18v kit , I assume you realise
: >> pay for what you get applies so the Aldi wont last in anything but toy
: >> use ?
: >>
: >
: >
: > $69 for this one, But I bought two 18 volt drills from Aldi about six
: > years ago for $24 each,they have had a new battery a couple of years
: > ago, one is still going like a train,(can't fault them except for
: > batteries) but I can not get more new batteries and to rebuild them
: > costs heaps.
: > If this one lasts as well I will be satisfied.Even if the batteries go I
: > can probably still rig something up as they look like they have 18650
: > size built in the pack, which are easy to get and cheaper than NiCd
: > As long as this drill is as good mechanically as my old ones it will be
: > all right.
: You may well find ebay/us will find batteries , locally battery world
: wanted 320 ex for two for the Hitachi , 164 laneded from the us
:
: --
:

Ya lazy buggar, rebuid the old ones! Last time I rebuit a Drill pack I used
Emergency light
batteries. All you have to do it break open the plastic wrapper and desolder the
lugs and use em to
rebuild ya drill pack.  Theres always thousands of those that have only just
failed there 90
discharge test that are being thrown out.  If you need seom Baz, let me know and
I will find some
that have "Had" to be replaced ;o)

Site Timeline