Aldi computers

Aldi is about to unleash more computers on us. Beware!!

Currently, I suggest anyone with an Aldi Desktop to check the temperatures on their CPU, Motherboard etc. Having lost the video card thru fan failure along with a friend and others on forums here and there, and Aldi-Medion offering a replacement for $360. I thought it would be worth investigating other temperatures and was shocked to see the Aldi over double the temperature of regular computers..

location : temp C

-------- Aldi ------Other brands CPU - 56 --- 25 SYS - 51 --- 25 AUX - 61 --- 31 HDD - 40 --- 36

fan: rpm

-------- Aldi ------Other CPU - 0 ----- 5114

measured with Sensorview

I rang Aldi hdqtrs on: (02)9675 9000 and Medion on : 1300 884 987

Reply to
BedavaMan

I suspect you are measuring in a differing manner from machine to machine , the temps you show are only sligtly higher than my almost new dual AMD loaded toy..

Reply to
atec77

CPU and SYS at 25 degrees? Thats pretty much impossible on any PC. AUX more than CPU? Now I know you are crazy.

Obviously it doesnt have a monitorable fan.

Reply to
Dac

Yep,

these temperatures are nothing abnormal. Were they taken at idle or under load?

most cpu's are not in trouble till 70-75 degrees, and will throttle back clock speeds/shutdown at 90-95deg c. I've seen more then a few intel p4's run reliable for years after the odd excursion to 95 degree shutdown

either sys or aux is the northbridge temp and is again nothing crazy

hdd at 40 is safe, but after 55deg c failure will be a problem

until recently run of the mill graphics chips didn't report temp, but I've seen quite a few nvidia's with 140deg c shutdown thresholds

basically your barking up the wrong tree with temps.

to get a cpu to ambiant temps without watercooling is impossible with air cooling. I've no idea what cpu you have, but a modern cpu has a thermal output anywhere between 50w for something slow/old, to 100w+ for a modern rocket. just think about it, 50-100watts of heat trying to pass through an area the size of a postage stamp.

as for fan failure, sadly it happens.

MH

Reply to
mark

The other brand temps are utter bullshit. There is no current CPU that runs at 25degC

Reply to
Wayne Carr

runs

Sure they do, when the power is turned off long enough. :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Or if the ambient temp is 0C ... Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Boy

In a Thermaltake soprano case with stock fans and without the side fan running. This is after playing Doom 3 for about an hour.

DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 4200+

2 x 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-4-4-8 @ 200 MHz)

Leadtek PX7600 GS

Temperatures

Motherboard 28 °C (82 °F)

CPU 28 °C (82 °F)

Aux 38 °C (100 °F)

GPU 51 °C (124 °F)

WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1 29 °C (84 °F)

Cooling Fans

CPU 1298 RPM

Chassis 1442 RPM

Power Supply 6027 RPM

Rob

Reply to
R1rob

Ambient temp 18C

Reply to
R1rob

Got to stick up for this guy I have an Aldi Computer with the same problem of fan failure, although I was lucky enough that it started making an awful racket before it stopped working so I knew what the problem was. Emailed Medion to get a replacement fan, only to be offered an expensive replacement card. You would think with Australian importing laws you could actually get the required part from the manufacturer.

Reply to
shauncook

You read my mind - I was just wondering what the ambient temperature was. Only a 10 degree rise. That's pretty impressive. ... Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Boy

Absolutely. Of course the measurement should be confirmed by another test method though to make sure it is not incorrect. (which seems likely considering the motherboard is the same temp, and the aux is ten degrees higher.)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

From bios and from using Everest 2.2 405 or Asus monitoring software. All the same. Could be wrong. I can't find out what AUX is? Varying info from everywhere.

Rob

Reply to
R1rob

From Lavalys FAQ

"AUX" There is no standard for sensor registers layout, so the "Aux" temperature could show the temperature of the CPU or the motherboard, or might be a non-connected wire of the sensor chip, and so it could show a bogus value

"CPU" temperature means the temperature measured around the CPU socket,.

Reply to
Scott Woodberry

test

Which of course all rely on the same sensor though. A thermometer on the heatsink would probably give a higher reading.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Probably, but I cant be bothered looking for the thermocouple for my multimeter. Not even any info on the Asus site. Piss poor really.

Rob

Reply to
R1rob

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 16:13:33 +1000, "R1rob" put finger to keyboard and composed:

The sensor chip may have 3 fan inputs and several voltage inputs, some scaled, some not. There is nothing that says that the motherboard designer must assign input 1 to the CPU instead of input 3, for example. The author of the monitoring software relies on feedback from users to determine the functions of the inputs. Another potential unknown is the scale factor used by the designer to sense a -12V rail, for example, using an ADC input that ranges from 0 to 5V.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On 5 Oct 2006 19:55:11 -0700, "BedavaMan" put finger to keyboard and composed:

What does the BIOS say?

Which chip does your motherboard use for monitoring? For example, I use Motherboard Monitor to monitor an ECS motherboard with an ITE8705F chip. To make the fan and temperature readings correspond to the actual motherboard layout, I had to edit a configuration file.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I was under the assumption that the CPU had a PN junction on the die for measurung temperature.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Usually, but what makes you think it is infallible?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T