Aldi computers

Aldi is about to unleash more computers on us. Beware!!

Currently, I suggest anyone with an Aldi Desktop to check the
temperatures on their CPU, Motherboard etc.
Having lost the video card thru fan failure along with a friend and
others on forums here and there, and Aldi-Medion offering a replacement
for $360. I thought it would be worth investigating other temperatures
and was shocked to see the Aldi over double the temperature of regular
computers..

location : temp C

-------- Aldi ------Other brands
CPU -  56  ---  25
SYS -  51  ---  25
AUX -  61  ---  31
HDD - 40  ---  36

fan: rpm
-------- Aldi ------Other
CPU - 0    -----   5114

measured with Sensorview

I rang Aldi hdqtrs on: (02)9675 9000
and Medion on : 1300 884 987

Re: Aldi computers

I suspect you are measuring in a differing manner from machine to
machine , the temps you show are only sligtly higher than my almost new
dual AMD loaded toy..

Re: Aldi computers

CPU and SYS at 25 degrees? Thats pretty much impossible on any PC. AUX more
than CPU? Now I know you are crazy.

Obviously it doesnt have a monitorable fan.

Re: Aldi computers

Yep,

these temperatures are nothing abnormal. Were they taken at idle or under
load?

most cpu's are not in trouble till 70-75 degrees, and will throttle back
clock speeds/shutdown at 90-95deg c. I've seen more then a few intel p4's
run reliable for years after the odd excursion to 95 degree shutdown

either sys or aux is the northbridge temp and is again nothing crazy

hdd at 40 is safe, but after 55deg c failure will be a problem

until recently run of the mill graphics chips didn't report temp, but I've
seen quite a few nvidia's with 140deg c shutdown thresholds

basically your barking up the wrong tree with temps.

to get a cpu to ambiant temps without watercooling is impossible with air
cooling. I've no idea what cpu you have, but a modern cpu has a thermal
output anywhere between 50w for something slow/old, to 100w+ for a modern
rocket. just think about it, 50-100watts of heat trying to pass through an
area the size of a postage stamp.

as for fan failure, sadly it happens.

MH

Re: Aldi computers

The other brand temps are utter bullshit. There is no current CPU that runs
at 25degC

Re: Aldi computers

runs

Sure they do, when the power is turned off long enough. :-)

MrT.

Re: Aldi computers

Or if the ambient temp is 0C
... Johnny

Re: Aldi computers

In a Thermaltake soprano case with stock fans and without the side fan
running.
This is after playing Doom 3 for about an hour.

DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 4200+

2 x       512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM  (3.0-4-4-8 @ 200 MHz)

Leadtek PX7600 GS

Temperatures

Motherboard    28 C  (82 F)

CPU    28 C  (82 F)

Aux      38 C  (100 F)

GPU    51 C  (124 F)

WDC WD2500JS-00NCB1    29 C  (84 F)

Cooling Fans

CPU                1298 RPM

Chassis             1442 RPM

Power Supply   6027 RPM

Rob

Re: Aldi computers

Ambient temp 18C

Re: Aldi computers

You read my mind - I was just wondering what the ambient temperature was.
Only a 10 degree rise. That's pretty impressive.
... Johnny

Re: Aldi computers

Absolutely. Of course the measurement should be confirmed by another test
method though to make sure it is not incorrect.
(which seems likely considering the motherboard is the same temp, and the
aux is ten degrees higher.)

MrT.

Re: Aldi computers

From bios and from using Everest 2.2 405 or Asus monitoring software.
All the same. Could be wrong. I can't find out what AUX is? Varying info
from everywhere.

Rob

Re: Aldi computers

From Lavalys FAQ

"AUX" There is no standard for sensor registers layout, so the "Aux"
temperature could show the temperature of the CPU or the motherboard, or
might be a non-connected wire of the sensor chip, and so it could show a
bogus value

"CPU" temperature means the temperature measured around the CPU socket,.

Re: Aldi computers

test

Which of course all rely on the same sensor though. A thermometer on the
heatsink would probably give a higher reading.

MrT.

Re: Aldi computers

Probably, but I cant be bothered looking for the thermocouple for my
multimeter.
Not even any info on the Asus site. Piss poor really.

Rob

Re: Aldi computers

I was under the assumption that the CPU had a PN junction on the die
for measurung temperature.

Re: Aldi computers

Usually, but what makes you think it is infallible?

MrT.

Re: Aldi computers

Yep, and if a check of the heatsink temperature reads *higher* than what the
software tells you, then you KNOW it is wrong.

MrT.

Re: Aldi computers

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 17:21:47 +1000, The Real Andy
composed:

The latest Athlons do, but earlier ones such as my XP 2500+ do not.
IIRC, the motherboard has a sensor inside the CPU socket.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Aldi computers

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 06:43:02 +1000, Franc Zabkar

Correction: Earlier socket A AMD CPUs didn't have the diode, but my
Athlon XP does. Despite this, many motherboard manufacturers chose to
place a sensor inside the CPU socket. I don't know what the practice
is today, though.

See http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/Computers/computers_xp2600_2412.htm

The author writes:

"Unfortunately, most motherboard manufacturers don't make this
temperature available via monitoring software. Usually, an in-socket
thermal sensor is used where the temperature is some 10C below that
of the thermal diode. If you can get a thermal sensor that is small
enough to tape in the center of the processor on the underside, this
is an ideal alternative as AMD quote temperatures measured in such a
way are within 2C of the internal diode."

- Franc Zabkar