After circuit diagram and description Musicolour III

Back in the 70's, Electronics Australia published a kit design for a
Musicolour 3.  I have one that has ceased to work.  Has anyone got a
copy of the original circuit and circuit notes?  Would appreciate a
copy.

Cheers
Greg Smith, WA

Re: After circuit diagram and description Musicolour III

** That could be the one published in the December 1971 issue,  with PCB
labelled as  " 71C12 "  -   OR  it could be the one in September 1976,  with
PCB labelled as  "76PC9 ".

......  Phil

Re: After circuit diagram and description Musicolour III

I read in the current issue SC that a new Musicolour project is coming
in the next month or two, using a dsPIC.
I wonder, would the Musicolour be the longest running and most updated
Aus magazine project?

Dave.

Re: After circuit diagram and description Musicolour III

Sounds about right.
Why not use a DSP/Microcontroller when a few opamps will do?
Probably means they can keep the code a secret and sell pre-programmed devices...

Re: After circuit diagram and description Musicolour III
On May 13, 4:11 pm, swanny
devices...

This one is all FFT apparently, guess it allows you to do lots of
fancy stuff?
Hence the dsPIC programmer in this months SC.
If it's an actual SC project then the source code should be available.

Dave.

Re: After circuit diagram and description Musicolour III
In article <3ee1eb6b-16c5-41cb-94ba-6d9803b7a2a1
@w4g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...
with
devices...

I found Discolitez to be great piece of kit.

It's a free winamp plugin, and allows you to control lights according to
amplitude or frequency ranges.
It drives the good ol LPT port - if your PC has one these days :-\

Ray

Re: After circuit diagram and description Musicolour III

"David L. Jones"

** I wonder if there is  ANY  other project published by EA , SC or  ETI
that is  KNOWN  to have caused the death of a constructor after it was sold
to them as a kit by DSE   ??

WARNING:

If ever you construct or attempt to service one of the several " Musicolour
" projects  -   make ABSOLUTELY  CERTAIN  you have a  ELCB  or " Safety
Switch " in line within the AC supply to the unit whenever the lid is off.

Or you may become the second, known fatality in Australia.

......    Phil

Re: After circuit diagram and description Musicolour III

IIRC, they were switching the neutral to the load, so the lamp was floating at
mains voltage, even when 'off'.

Re: After circuit diagram and description Musicolour III

"swanny"

**  No  -  the active was switched

Which mean all the heatsinks on the triacs were permanently at 240 volts AC.

......  Phil

Re: After circuit diagram and description Musicolour III

"Phil Allison"

 ** Or I should have said the COMMON heatsink was at 240V AC.

...  Phil

Re: After circuit diagram and description Musicolour III
--------------------------------

I remember in incident of a person getting zapped by one of these
units at the local roller skating rink back in the 1980s, by a person
(probably the DJ) being "expert" without any actual knowlege of
electronics, deciding to remove the cover, and leave it off (while
still using the remaining channels) after failing to work out why one
channel didnt work anymore.  Only a matter of time before someone
"touched" the insides.

Fortunately it wasnt fatal.

Also, in the same place remember seeing a series load of 12v "car
headlight" style sealed beams, that were wired in series (not enough
of them to make up the full 240v), some being housed in ceramic
flowerpots lined with tinfoil and coloured cellophane over the top of
them.

When I think back Its amazing there weren't more fatalities from
electrocution.

Site Timeline