Advice Please - Philips 29PT8419/79R CTV (EM1A Chassis) - Severe Pincushion

G'day everyone,

OK, first off I want to say that TVs really aren't my forte. For some reason, I always end up getting 'bitten' and prefer to work on LV appliances and PCs

A friend has asked me to have a look at his CTV (model above). I found the service code for this model and when used, the following is displayed (although the pincushioning is severe so that it is hard to read):

9866 SWID EM12A1-3-0

ERR 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ??? 121 91 255 183 204 0 0 0

CLEAR ERRORS

OPTIONS

I'm guessing that the top line is something to with firmware and chassis ID? The next line of zeros represent the different areas and the numbers below the zeros indicate errors that are present.

The pincusioning starts from about 2 inches in from each of the top edges and curves down (concave) to 6-8 inches in along the bottom edge of the screen. The amount of pincushioning worsens slightly with time (heat?).

Some research has suggested to replace the SSB (Small Signal Board).

I would be very grateful for any advice on how to interpret the service codes and an SSB replacement may cure the problem ... and ... how much the SSB may cost (apparently the CTV is about 3-4 years old?)

Thanks in advance.

Cam

Reply to
Cam

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:56:18 +1000, "Cam" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Replacing the SSB would entail more adjustments, so your best option is probably to have a go at repair.

See

"After fitting the exchange module (SSB), all the geometry and other controls, plus various options, have to be reset. This all takes time of course and is fiddly. The Service Alignment Mode, by the way, is still accessed by keying in 062596 plus the OSD Index i+ button on the remote."

Southside Electronics

can supply Philips spares.

Searching for "small signal board" produces 1 hit, p/n PCB43PP925/9, which costs AU$603.46 (inc GST). I don't know if this is the correct part, though.

Contact High Country Service Data

to rent or buy a service manual.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thanks Frank.

I didn't even think to google the SSB for a price (kind of bizzare becasue that's how I found out about the Service Alignment Mode in the first place...from the Silicon Chip article you quoted!)

I have used High Country before. I was hoping someone could give me a remote diagnosis and say "Oh yeah! I've had that fault. Replace C437...

Cheers,

Cam

Reply to
news.internode.on.net

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:37:09 +1000, "news.internode.on.net" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have absolutely no experience with this particular model, and I've never seen the SSB, but I would think that the uP on that board is probably OK, otherwise *all* the geometry settings would be out. Instead I'd be looking for some passive component (R/L/C) or maybe a transistor. Look for a coupling coil in the horizontal scan circuit and work backwards from there.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar