Advice on $1 colour TV's.

I have just bought a couple of colour
51" TV's at auction for $1 each.

They look similar to the TV's at TAB outlets.
The on/off switch and volume slides have been
covered with bostik,  on a side panel they
have a computer 3 pin power socket
and a board with BNC couplings.

Any idea if these can work? I was wondering
if I can program a remote to change channels.

I can supply a link to an image of the
connection board if req

Thanks
Rod

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

Sounds suspiciously like it's a monitor of sorts, which might mean it
doesn't have an RF receiver. In that case you could probably use it
with an external digital set top box.

The photo might help.

Dave.

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

G'day Dave,
thanks for replying, for a minute there, I thought
perhaps I may need to replace my anti perspirant.

Here is a photo, a little blurry, I was stumbling around in the
dark in the garage.

Post back if you need a clearer scan.

I am fairly sure they are TV's and were sold as such
in the auction, perhaps they came from a hospital

http://cjoint.com/data/kFmGeDKDUS.htm

a fellow at the auction, a regular said he could
have the codes for the remote to change channels
I'll see him at the next it auction in 14 days.

Thanks again Dave.
Rodney.
(Perth)

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

Aha!  W.A.C.A.E
West Australian College of Advanced Education.
Rod.

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

Looks like a monitor to me. It does not have an RF input so there will
be no RF receiver in there to tune in any channels. You can only use
it as a TV if you use an external digital STB (or an external analog
tuner, but that would be more trouble than it's worth I think). I
assume it would take a normal PAL composite video signal on the BNC
input.

No point getting a remote to change channels, you would leave it fixed
on the one input.

Dave.

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

Roger that,
I'll check with the guy at the auction, in the next
two weeks to just make sure, before I take them to
the tip.
I still fail to see why they would put a monitor in a TV
frame complete with buttons.
BTW I lied, I just saw the receipt, and they were $2.50 each  :)
Thanks for corresponding Dave.
Best wishes
Rod.

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

I was with the TAB for 25 years, and one of the cost saving methods we
used frequently, was to buy in several hundred TV sets at a time, direct
from a manufacturer, and get them contracted out, to be converted to
video monitors.

The red plate looks very much like the sort of modifications we had done
to the sets. Typical screwed or pop riveted plate on the back or side.

Is there any additional controls that may be TV related? Or perhaps an
RF in plug in another location on the side or back?

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

Howdy there Don,
I'll mosey on out to the shed, and take some more
photos.
Be back in a jiff
Your suggestion seems very relevent, just the query
remains, can they be reverse engineered to
become TV's again?
The only reason I persist, is 51" is a nice size
to have in the shed without tossing it out.

The other auction buyer seems to think they can,
he bought about a dozen :)

Cheers
Rodney.

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

Rodney,

I would be making sure that they at least work as video monitors, before
investing any real time into converting them. (If that is a possibility)

Best you wack a video signal into them.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

Shall do Don,

here is the box
http://cjoint.com/data/lbgvaJLpVj.htm

you may need to save to HDD then open to
see in correct res

and another.......
http://cjoint.com/data/lbgyki3Aj6.htm

Rodney

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

Very interesting indeed.

Do you have a video source like a digital STB, camcorder, or digital
camera?
If so just whack it in and see if you get a picture.
If you do then I'd just get a new or 2nd hand Standard Def STB off
eBay or whatever and use that. New ones are going for as little as
$20+postage on eBay these days and you get the advantages of digital
TV and a remote to go with it. By far a better option than trying to
modify it back into an analog TV I recon.

Dave.

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

Unless the conversion is obvious when you crack it open, or you have a
schematic, I figure David is spot on.

Let's see, $2.50, plus $20, plus postage. Hmmm....
Not worth opening up is it?

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

or go verge shopping for a old VCR, just use it for the tuner --> vid out

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

"Verge Shopping"  I like that  :)
Thanks boys,
all your input is appreciated.
I'll post on my progress.

Now.......
did I tell you about the other lot I bought,
$5 for what I thought was a box of 10 PC keyboards.

Turned out it was the boxes behind as well,
I now have 150 microsoft keyboards........Arghhh
I may have to go "Verge depositing".

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

Why not sell them on ebay them for a $1 each?

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

I have never sold anything on Ebay,
sounds too much like hard yakka.

What I shall do though, is stick them
in the car for the next "boot sale" at $1
and see what happens.

Personally, when I changed to the MS keyboard,
from an old generic, I am finding the MS clunky,
the keys harder to press, the enter key too small,
and the wrists more elevated.
I'll persist for another month or so, or go looking
for another board.
R.

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

Too much hassle.
I don't know why anyone bothers selling anything on eBay for only a
few bucks.

Dave.

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

There should be this humungous "under cover" verge,
where people can drive through and drop, or pick up
junk to their liking.
I left my kids pushbikes on the verge, at the last council cleanup
and to see them being squitched by a council hydraulic
made me feel ashamed I was in such a disposable culture.

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

  <Panic averted after reading properly>

  See what happens when you don't read things properly?  I thought you said
you left your kids ON THEIR pushbikes on the verge...

  I didn't feel so great when I went looking for the punch line and there
wasn't one...
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Advice on $1 colour TV's.

<Panic averted after reading properly>

Glad to see you recovered  OK John,
sometimes it's not what you read, but what is meant.

I went down the street to the 24-hour grocery.
When I got there, the guy was locking the front door.
I said, 'Hey, the sign says you're open 24 hours.'
He said, 'Yes, but not in a row.'

Site Timeline