Adjustable alternator voltage regulator

Anyone have a circuit for a manually-adjustable, or even automatic regulator to control a car alternator? Application is deep-cycle battery charging using 3-5HP small petrol motor.

Reply to
123

How big is the battery? Thinking Amphour capacity.

If this is just a top up system, how about just a current regulator to C/10?

3-5HP seems a lot of grunt for the job.
Reply to
Terryc

----- Original Message ----- From: "Terryc" Newsgroups: aus.electronics Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 12:31 AM Subject: Re: Adjustable alternator voltage regulator

My battery banks are 900AH @ 24V (3 strings x 12 batteries x 300AH) At C/10, I'm looking at 90A @ 24V (nom.) or about 1KVa, up to 28V for an equalisation charge occasionally. Allowing for losses in the alternator, drive belts, etc., of about 30% then I'll need at least 3200W. People who've done similar things seem to need about double the engine HP. to electrical power, so 3 to 5 HP seems about right.

This is the sort of thing I want to do, but with an automatically reducing field current in response to the increasing battery voltage -

Thanks

Reply to
123

Would the standard regulator that is used on a truck be suitable? It is basically doing the same thing that you want to do, AFAIK.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Chris - Not really, due to need for equalisation charge of up to 30VDC, every so often, and need to charge solar batteries at a slightly higer voltage than in vehicles, otherwise batteries take a very long time/never come fully up to charge.

Thanks for the thought, though

Marcus, in the bush @ Coonabarabran, with an overcast day and rapidly emptying batteries! (Will have to go start (240V ) generator......

Reply to
123

Coonabarabran eh? Say hello to my Uncle Max for me ;-)

Chris.

Reply to
chris

Chris ~ Don't think I know him, actually - sorry!

Amazing how often Coona seems to crop up in films, etc - Spider and Rose, Stone for instance - many people seem to know it or have rellies/friends here.

Reply to
123

Yep, that seems right to me. Not often I seem something as serious as that.

I am guessing that you are after a 24V version of the electronic controller. sorry, don't remember seeing one

Reply to
Terryc

umm, interim step is if you have the motor and alternator/generator, how about just building a current regulator to limit the output(battery input/recharge)? You would have to watch it (that it doesn't overcharge). Perhaps just run the combo in a couple of hour blocks.

Reply to
Terryc

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 05:25:04 +1000, "123" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Would a current limited constant voltage regulator suffice? If so, I'd use an LM723 regulator. Connect its error amp to the positive battery terminal, using a pot and potential divider, and connect the IC's current limit pins to a 90A shunt, ie 6.7 milliohm (= 600mV/90A). This shunt resistor should be placed in the positive lead between the battery and the alternator output. Then connect the IC's output pin to the alternator's field terminal via a pass transistor.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

LOL, thought everybody knew everyone in Coona ;-)

Chris.

Reply to
chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "chris" Newsgroups: aus.electronics Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 1:09 PM Subject: Re: Adjustable alternator voltage regulator

Gee, I've only been here about 15 yrs., so I'm not even a local yet, let alone know eveeyone...............

Marcus

Reply to
marcus