Adjuncts in plugpack output cables

Hi, I've just purchased a 12V 0.5A regulated plugpack, Altronics M9449. Several cm from the device along the outlet cable is a cylindrical plastic lump, about 25mm long and 18mm dia. It appears to have ventilation apertures. Any ideas what it might be, and is there a reason why it would be interposed in the lead rather than incorporated in the main body? I guess one would be that they found that they needed to add something after they'd locked the packaging design in.

If you're thinking of this plugpack and it's going to be regularly moved around, then you might want to reconsider, the output cable is fairly thin and the weight and bulk of the 'thing' is great enough that it could contribute to early cable failure right up against the casing.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

My guess also.

I've seen them. Depending on which end they're on, they're either there to stop radiated hash coming from the plugpack (switchmode), or, the equipment it's connected to inducing hash back up the supply cable.

Though for the latter, it would also be my guess that the equipment would have this ferrite suppressor built into itself in the first place, and not rely on the (perhaps unknown) plugpack manufacturer doing the job for them.

This being a generic plugpack, it strikes me as odd that they'd go to the cost of adding a relatively expensive suppressor (presumably at the plug end?) to insure against whatever it's connected to, that they have no real control over. And it's not their job anyway.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Yes they are awkward. But have a look at:

TonyS

Sounds like a factory fitted ferrite bead, e.g:

But I can't say I've ever seen one on an ordinary separate plugpack before.

Can you post a (web based) photo?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yes, they are not unusual on plugpacks supplied with equipment, but on a generic individual plugpack I find it rather strange. Perhaps it's a big surplus buy where it was intended to go with another product?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jerkoff"

** What product use a multi -volatge plug pack ??

.. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yep, ok, good point. All the more curious then... Would be nice if Bruce could post a photo.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

: :"David L. Jerkoff" : :>

:> Yes, they are not unusual on plugpacks supplied with equipment, but on a :> generic individual plugpack I find it rather strange. :> Perhaps it's a big surplus buy where it was intended to go with another :> product? : : : :** What product use a multi -volatge plug pack ?? : : : : :.. Phil : :

Did you notice the schematic specifies D1 - 4 as 1N4001?

Has to be a typo.....

Reply to
Ross Herbert

"Ross Herbert" "Phil Allison"

** Huh ???

What the f*ck is this ex Telstra loon on about now ???

** More like he is hypo.....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison