Adjuncts in plugpack output cables

Hi,  I've just purchased a 12V 0.5A regulated plugpack, Altronics M9449.
Several cm from the device along the outlet cable is a cylindrical plastic
lump, about 25mm long and 18mm dia. It appears to have ventilation
apertures. Any ideas what it might be, and is there a reason why it would be
interposed in the lead rather than incorporated in the main body? I guess
one would be that they found that they needed to add something after they'd
locked the packaging design in.

If you're thinking of this plugpack and it's going to be regularly moved
around, then you might want to reconsider, the output cable is fairly thin
and the weight and bulk of the 'thing' is great enough that it could
contribute to early cable failure right up against the casing.

Re: Adjuncts in plugpack output cables

Yes they are awkward.
But have a look at:
http://www.butlerwinding.com/inductors/common-mode2.html

Re: Adjuncts in plugpack output cables

Sounds like a factory fitted ferrite bead, e.g:
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?search=ferrite&area=srch&option=and&Submit=SEARCH
But I can't say I've ever seen one on an ordinary separate plugpack before.

Can you post a (web based) photo?

Dave.

Re: Adjuncts in plugpack output cables

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?search=ferrite&area=srch&option=and&Submit=SEARCH

  My guess also.

  I've seen them.  Depending on which end they're on, they're either there to
stop radiated hash coming from the plugpack (switchmode), or, the equipment
it's connected to inducing hash back up the supply cable.

  Though for the latter, it would also be my guess that the equipment would
have this ferrite suppressor built into itself in the first place, and not
rely on the (perhaps unknown) plugpack manufacturer doing the job for them.

  This being a generic plugpack, it strikes me as odd that they'd go to the
cost of adding a relatively expensive suppressor (presumably at the plug end?)
to insure against whatever it's connected to, that they have no real control
over.  And it's not their job anyway.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Adjuncts in plugpack output cables

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?search=ferrite&area=srch&option=and&Submit=SEARCH

Yes, they are not unusual on plugpacks supplied with equipment, but on a
generic individual plugpack I find it rather strange.
Perhaps it's a big surplus buy where it was intended to go with another
product?

Dave.

Re: Adjuncts in plugpack output cables

"David L. Jerkoff"

**  What product use a multi -volatge plug pack ??

..   Phil

Re: Adjuncts in plugpack output cables

Yep, ok, good point.
All the more curious then...
Would be nice if Bruce could post a photo.

Dave.

Re: Adjuncts in plugpack output cables

:
:"David L. Jerkoff"
:
:>
:> Yes, they are not unusual on plugpacks supplied with equipment, but on a
:> generic individual plugpack I find it rather strange.
:> Perhaps it's a big surplus buy where it was intended to go with another
:> product?
:
:
:
:**  What product use a multi -volatge plug pack ??
:
:
:
:
:..   Phil
:
:

Did you notice the schematic specifies D1 - 4 as 1N4001?

Has to be a typo.....

Re: Adjuncts in plugpack output cables

"Ross Herbert"
 "Phil Allison"

**  Huh ???

What the fuck is this ex Telstra loon on about now ???

**  More like he is hypo.....

.....   Phil

Site Timeline