ABC technical history: the other book

Received my copy of '50 years of ABC technical services - Alright leaving here', by Doug Grant yesterday. It covers the ABC technical services from

1950 onwards, up to about 2006. Very different to the Ross book referenced in an earlier post, which is a fairly terse and technical treatise on radio broadcasting. The Grant book covers almost exclusively TV, with a short section on Radio Australia. It's more of a narrative, with lots of human interest snippets including difficulties, quirks and anecdotes. Not a lot of technical detail, the photos are mostly buildings and people, virtually none of equipment interiors. Whereas the Ross book focusses on transmitters (big power, big valves), this one focusses mostly on studio equipment.

The preface describes the origin of the subtitle "alright leaving here" which I didn't understand until I read the book, it refers to the tech at the sending end of a link notifying the receiving end that a signal is on its way and looks OK. That reference typifies the book style quite well. Highly recommended as long as you're not just interested in big glowing things. I found the sections on early video recorders and satellite era particularly interesting.

Reply to
Noodnik