A Tour of Apex Electronics

And if you don't follow Dave Jones EEVblog, have a look at the first video at:

or

and check out the comments on utube

Dave dropped by Apex Electronics in Sun Valley just outside LA, the biggest and oldest surplus electronics store in California (and probably the US?) . Come on a tour through the Aladdin cave of surplus electronics and hardware. It?s actually pretty sad to see all this old technology just lying on the scrap heap :-(

Cheers Don...

==============================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/usb-iso-low-full-speed-usb-isolator.html

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Thanks Don Was just about the post this. Cross posted to sci.electronics.design.

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

rnatezone.com/eevblog/

I noticed some of the techtronix stuff is their plug ins from their modular design era of the 1980's.

I say this in order to rant about modular design. We use lots of techtronixs stuff that predates the modular design crap that tecktronix made, and all the modular design crap that techtronix made sits in a corner of the lab having been off for decades now.

Modular design seems like such a great idea to the "ideas" people, but it generally turns out as crap. I worked with a guy who worked for General radio back in the 70's. He said that they went on a modular design effort and it pretty much kiled the company. Anyhow, I have not seen any modular design stuff since the techtronix episode.

Reply to
brent

Podcast:

Sampling scopes still use plugins.

We still use our old Tektronix (sp!) scopes once in a while, especially when a special-purpose plugin does something we need, like

10 uV/cm or 120 dB CMRR or 1000:1 vertical zoom.

GR just did dumb stuff, like clumsy separate power supplies.

What really killed cool stuff like the TM500 series was the price.

John

I love the color, how can I get one - haha

Its funny you mention that, I remember my old friend mentioning that the power supply was the real killer on it, but I never really knew the details.

Reply to
brent

Podcast:

I interviewed for a job at Tek when I was finishing grad school in 1987. I loved Tek gear, and was recruited pretty hard by a Tek guy by the name of Jeff Goll, who was spending that year at Stanford. He and his group were trying to use the Pockels electro-optic effect to make ADCs--you make 6 or 8 integrated-optic Mach-Zehnder interferometers in some usefully electrooptic material like LiNbO3, with path differences scaled as powers of 2, and apply the vertical amplifier output voltage across them. Because the Pockels effect is linear, the LSB goes through

64 or 256 periods per period of the MSB, so in principle you can make fast ADCs. The big problem was that they couldn't make the transitions line up well enough to do more than a 6-bit ADC, and the powers-that-be said it had to be at least 8 bits. (A pity you can't make the Pockels effect work in Gray code.) That ADC could have run well over 1 Gs/s, which would have been pretty amazing in 1987.

I didn't take the job, mainly because (a) the full-time pay was less than I could get as a postdoc at IBM, and (b) they were poorly equipped but thought they were well equipped. (They had a lot of those modular things themselves.) If they'd been more competitive $-wise I might have gone to work for them--my family was from Vancouver, and Beaverton is a lot closer than NYC.

IME the biggest problem with the Tek modular stuff was that the modules died if you hot-plugged them. At one point, I had one of their briefcase-style modular enclosures, with a small scope, function generator, power supply, low noise amp, and pulser. It sat on my bench for some years, and got a reasonable amount of use. I made my own low noise amp plugin using one of their prototype modules--that one would survive hot plugging!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I spent a lot of time at Apex when I was a kid. Not too far from Apex, in Chatsworth, was another place called Bernie's Surplus. In Pasadena, C+H Surplus had some very strange optical stuff. Those were good times.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

On a sunny day (Mon, 1 Nov 2010 08:11:09 +1100) it happened "David L. Jones" wrote in :

You never heard of Ray Conniff?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The modular approach made a certain amount of sense in that, back then, the cost of the power supply, the backplane, etc. were a pretty significant chunk of the overall widget's price.

Granted, in the case of Tektronix, the prices were so high anyway that some of that benefit never really made it to the end user... :-)

Not being hot-pluggable, as Phil mentioned, was also a mistake IMO.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Sounds like a 7A13, my favorite (apart from the relays)

I still have a 6-holer on my bench.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

must admit, I nearly fell out of my chair when Dave said that. My wife would be mortified. :-)

Cheers Don...

=======================

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:

Don McKenzie

The plugins for the old TUBE scopes could be hot-switched.

Reply to
Robert Baer

APEX was always good for the net mass of the industrial surplus. I don't think the guy walking through in the video was old enough to really appreciate what he was seeing (he recognized the newest stuff but passed over, without mention, some more truly interesting items).

IMHO, C&H Surplus in Pasadena (now Duarte) was/is much better for the "cream of the crop" especially in terms of mechanics/pneumatics/optics and working lab and test equipment. (Albeit working test equipment was never cheap compared to the broken test equipment!)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

APEX was always good for the net mass of the industrial surplus. I don't think the guy walking through in the video was old enough to really appreciate what he was seeing (he recognized the newest stuff but passed over, without mention, some more truly interesting items).

IMHO, C&H Surplus in Pasadena (now Duarte) was/is much better for the "cream of the crop" especially in terms of mechanics/pneumatics/optics and working lab and test equipment. (Albeit working test equipment was never cheap compared to the broken test equipment!)

Tim.

I just 'wasted' ten minutes checking out C&H's website, they have some neat toys for sale.

Dennis

That's what I got told when I tore a strip off a tech, when he cost us a nearly-unobtanium IC by hot plugging an amplifier in a 7904.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

=A0 =A0(Richard Feynman)

I'm surprised about that. 7K series was supposed to be hot- switchable. 5K series and TM500 was definitely not (most of the time it was, but the mechanical alignment wasn't as good). I worked in 7K design at one time, and people there routinely hot- swapped plugins.

Of course, I've fried the power-supply tantalums just turning on the power switch!

Reply to
cassiope

Thats my kind of store! I'd have probably come away with more useless old junk than I could fit into my baggage allowance.

I went to the MIT swap meet in Cambridge Mass last July, but it was disappointing. Some interesting stuff but it was largely a trash and treasure market (with the accent on the trash) for ageing hippies.

Reply to
keithr

BUT..a 7904 is (mostly) solem-state; the tech plainly did not know the equipment and needed to be Eddy-Kated.

Reply to
Robert Baer

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

neat

Overall the southern california surplus scene was really happening 20 years ago. Unfortunately the vast quantities of surplus at the time, were the result of the shutdown of nearly all aviation and avionics engineering/manufacturing in the area, so it was kind of bittersweet.

Through the 90's and early 2000's most community college/vocational education/academic lab programs in avionics and hands-on electronic engineering got shut down. This produced a hugely advantageous flow of test equipment etc. to the surplus market but again, a bittersweet gain.

Tim.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

He sure got Eddy-Kated.

Giving excuses when apology and contrition are called for doesn't work with me.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse