A Security Camera & DVR web site with some incredible prices.

Pretzl wrote

Thats not true with the best low light cameras.

But few have their own IR light built in.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I think that CCD sensors like my tape sony Video camera need little light a 10 watt fluro (energy saver) provides a very good clear colour face/body image at 2 metres outside. My camera has inbuilt night vision again not effective above 2 metres and in a sort of black and white image only. CMOS sensors do offer even lower light levels resulting in clearer pictures than CCD do and are the main sensor type used in latest DVD quality video cameras (IMO most certainly superior image qualiy and cheaper than Swan in all respects). My main problem with my CCD video cam is the street light gives me the front number plate number the rear if lit is whited out as the video cam has (automatic) adjusted for low light capture

-- 'petzl

Petzl

Sigh. It is all electromagnetic radiation. just that some cams respond better in that area.

Reply to
terryc

Which would be useless in daylight then?

Reply to
terryc

Pretzl wrote

The best security cameras do a hell of a lot better than that.

The best security cameras do a hell of a lot better than that.

That last is just plain wrong, you have it backwards.

respects).

Yes, but the swans arent the best security cameras around.

The best security cameras do a hell of a lot better than that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

terryc wrote

Nope, not with automatic aperture cameras.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Only with supplementary lighting.

Reply to
terryc

The results I've seen from "security camera" images are complete rubbish compared what one can get from a video cam?

-- Petzl

Petzl

You can buy Automatic Apertures to fit cameras,

the video cameras change capture speed. Unless lighting is sufficient in both cases, the image quality determinates accordingly. For night time "silent/spying" surveillance (which I dont want) either the use of infrared lighting (which can be bought)
Or the use of special "night cameras"

-- Petzl

Petzl

The set-up I use via a old Sony Video cam is for outside and just have the camera looking out a window. It works well day and night the street light provides enough light at night time. Takes better images than I have ever seen in the local paper. The software I use is supervisionCam which seems ok, it detects movement so its easy to go over what images it has captured and creats "avi's" out of what images I wish to keeI'm, looking at using a senconday digital camera 14 megabite to cut in/activate when video becomes "over" active (I can do this by using/activating the cameras remote).

-- Petzl

Petzl

terryc wrote

respects).

Wrong, as always.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Only because you have only seen the results from shit security cameras.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Pretzl wrote

You dont need to with the better cameras, they have it already.

Utterly mangled all over again.

What I said.

Reply to
Rod Speed

camera?

I have looked at some but the images I have seen from these cameras are inferior to what I already get and not cheap (not seen any results i would put quality wise above crap rating) The auto aperture does help slow down "burn out" of the CCD maybe CMOS type when used outside in full sun (always protect cameras from sun)

availability.

I also believe there are laws, council regulations about recording what your neighbors do. An advantage with the software is I can mask recording areas of camera so they do not capture movement taking place in neighbors area. That said when camera does activate it does include images of my neighbors property. petzl

-- National Aircraft Noise Enquiry Line: Phone 1800 802 584 or go online at

Petzl

Interested if you could provide a link to a good security image petzl

-- National Aircraft Noise Enquiry Line: Phone 1800 802 584 or go online at

Petzl

Like anything, the early ones were crap, but now quality is just a function of how much money you have.

Reply to
terryc

Still not seen a "security camera" that takes a better image than a Video cam The old tape type a virtually worthless but make a better alternative, just looking at new Video cams seem even better

.or

(I don't use this example. I use a old tape type) On top of this using software to capture images with video cam you can then if needed activate a BIG camera (mines a 14 megapixle SLR) with flash, to enhance your security options. This is done via a printer/game port (I set it to take one main photo for every 10

2ndary)
You have to get at printer port to USB petzl

-- National Aircraft Noise Enquiry Line: Phone 1800 802 584 or go online at

Petzl

didn't want to tell anyone else about it,

After what has been covered, I am very interested to see what is around as an alternative to the type of Swann Security cameras that I mentioned initially in this thread.

Have a look at:

This is one of five cameras running on my current DVR IP system. It runs 24/7. This single camera at this URL is echoed to the net every 5 minutes via an ASUS 7" netbook.

Camera Specs: SWANN "OUTDOORCAM" COLOR SECURITY CAMERA Product Code: [SW214-ODC-23210]

380 TV Lines, 15ft (5m) infra-red night vision

Check it out after about 17:30 for the night vision properties. Now these cameras have been available in the past, at a reduced price by SwannStore.com for around $45AUD.

Where can I get a 600 TVL security camera with night vision at a reasonable price? I don't need to read number plates at night at 20 paces, but I wouldn't mind trying something a little upmarket to compare.

Cheers Don...

=======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Dontronics Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/simmstick-fifteen-years-on.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

You might not have, but I have. Try searching for a few and their sample images.

Reply to
terryc

I have! Many seem reluctant to show samples Heres what I get primary through window (sony video)

Secondary in raw mode is 14 meg but compressed it with JPG to 0.8 meg