A hifi bargain... - Page 3

Re: A hifi bargain...

Correct. That isolation can be provided by complete DC isolation (DC-DC
converters, opto-isolated logic, etc), but normally it's just a current
transformer in the USB cable. Yes, Virginia, contrary to what some
scoffers here say, a better USB cable can make a big difference, by
providing better isolation of the ground noise.

Re: A hifi bargain...

Yup.

Re: A hifi bargain...

Nope, any good device provides it's own isolation. The proof is in the
measurements.

Trevor.

Re: A hifi bargain...

The proof is in what people can hear, and it seems ground isolation is
still an issue for a lot of people who aren't using junk equipment.

Re: A hifi bargain...

You obviously are an ignorant luddite if you don't know current measurement
capability FAR exceeds what ANY human can ever hope to hear!

By definition any digital equipment so poor that ANY person can hear
problems with it these days, *IS* "junk equipment", plain and simple!!!!!!

Trevor.

Re: A hifi bargain...

What rubbish, anyone can pick the difference between 192lbs MP3 and the
original CD given the right source material.
If it's rap music 64kbs is probably enough however. :-)

Trevor.

Re: A hifi bargain...

Real world tests prove it. There is even an online test you can do to
see how you go picking different compression rates.
Google it and have a go.

Re: A hifi bargain...

I have done it many times. Try the ABX comparator with the castenets sound
files and then tell me you can't pick the difference! :-)

Trevor.

Re: A hifi bargain...

Real world listening tests prove it!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths

Re: A hifi bargain...

Then there's this:

http://www.tweekgeek.com/pranawire-photon-usb/

Gotta keep those vibrations and resonances out of one's digital cables.

Sylvia.

Re: A hifi bargain...

Indeed. Your $29 inkjet printer might throw its colour balance out with any
lesser cable.

Gotta love the shoddy heatshrink job on the second image (don't they know
you have to keep the heat gun moving?), along with the Brother/Dymo
labeller-printed sleeves. Did they run out of trained monkeys?

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: A hifi bargain...

3m for $1,695 though and what a bargain with the free shipping!

http://www.tweekgeek.com/bybee-speaker-bullets-MK-II/

Quantum purified!

But what is inside V1?

http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?topic84%97.msg1640961#msg1640961

In Dutch, but scroll down to see the pics...

(Please tell me nobody is so stupid to buy into this nonsense)

Re: A hifi bargain...

Unfortunately some are, but far worse is they also vote! That's why we have
the politicians we do :-(

Trevor.

Re: A hifi bargain...

If you are selling snake oil after all, you don't spend money on refining
the oil to a very high standard!

Trevor.

Re: A hifi bargain...
On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:17:31 +1000, Sylvia Else

Just what I need for my DAC. I always suspected the USB cable I'm
using was affecting the sound quality <rolls eyes>

Re: A hifi bargain...

To an extent, I'm inclined to the view that people who are that gullible
deserve to be parted from their money.

What I'm puzzled about is how people that gullible get to have that kind
of money in the first place. There are only so many who inherit it or
win it. I'd have thought that those capable of earning it wouldn't be
taken in so easily.

Then again, maybe I'm overestimating how bright one has to be to get rich.

Sylvia.

Re: A hifi bargain...

You sure are. Many rich people have a very limited field of expertise, and
most are simply lucky to be in the right place at the right time with the
right friends, and little regard for anyone else. And once you can afford to
buy politicians, making more is easy.
Once you have $Billions, actually spending it becomes difficult, so wasting
time evaluating a measly $3k purchase is not worth the effort for them.
And whoever coined the phrase "you can't con a con-man" was completely
wrong. The greedy are the easiest to con.

Trevor.

Re: A hifi bargain...

Yep, exactly.

Re: A hifi bargain...

"Sylvia Else"

** Lots of wealthy hi-fi cranks living in the USA.

 They all believe in the myth that if it costs more it  MUST  be better.

 So they must have it.

....  Phil

Re: A hifi bargain...

There was the case (I don't know details now) of a guy who designed a
carbon fibre golf-club. He was having difficulty making sales - until he
put the price up. Apparently the initial price was too low, and people
thought they'd be getting rubbish.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline