A hifi bargain...

Bybee Holographic AC Adapter RRP: $2,795.00 Now $2,295.00.

Reply to
Jeßus

news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

The next logical progression from "directional" cables.

"Whileever there're stupid people with money, there'll be smart people to take it from them."

A couple of decades ago, a friend and I contemplated ordering a special run of twin-core "AC flex" (you know the type, used to connect lights & switches in 99.999% of Australian households) in black. The plan was to sell it to audiophiles for $100/metre as "super-high-grade lossless pure copper ultra-transparent" speaker cable.

We gave up on the idea when we realised neither of us was capable of keeping a straight face for long enough to sell it to anyone. I can guarantee though that it would've performed better than any of the $300-$500/metre crap being flogged commercially.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

This is the reason behind the invention of salesmen.

Reply to
asdf

The internet is good for this as well. Have a couple of drinks, throw up a web page and the job is done!

--
:-P
Reply to

"Tony"

** Simple, no math explanation:

Inductance is the result of the magnetic field that accompanies any wire carrying a current.

However, if somehow another *equal and opposite* current flows in the exact same position as the first wire, the two fields oppose and no field is created - hence no inductance.

Placing two wires in parallel, fig 8 style, with current flowing in opposite directions approximates the situation.

A co-axial cable gets closer due to its symmetry.

Two flat strips with a very small gap between gets closer again.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Possibly. Plenty of things are *easily* measureable these days, but NOT audibly detectable to any human being in a proper double blind test. You'd have to conduct a well controlled one to find out for sure.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Exactly, and if you hire salesmen with no understanding of electronics, you simply need to make them believe the bullshit, and they will have no problem keeping a straight face! :-) A highly (pseudo) technical "white paper" on the benefits (which they will not understand) is a good way to "inform" them and their customers. :-)

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Well yes, and such tests have been done before.

Reply to
Clocky

Like you did with me a couple of years ago, when I described my audio set up here. You inexplicably called it a 'kludge of a system', if I recall correctly :)

I don't think this topic is one of your strong points.

Reply to
Jeßus

Some cable with a diode added? :P

It wouldn't surprise me.

Reply to
Jeßus

How is "USB DAC from this PC to a 1965 National valve receiver" not a kludge compared to a traditional system?

Oh, and before you jump on me and assume it was derogatory, you forgot to mention the smiley I added before we agreed it was largely subjective, particularly as we both have a dgree of hearing loss.

So let's not take those comments out of context.

Given all that, why you think your judgement is better then mine is what is inexplicable.

Just as some claim they can pick the difference between 192kbps MP3 and the same CD track, in the real world that simply doesn't pan out and it's no different with cables no matter how technically and mathematically the differences may be.

Reply to
Clocky

You haven't explained what's wrong with that. And what's a 'traditional system' in your eyes? Here's a tip - you haven't asked anything about the DAC in question, what type of files I play, or anything about that receiver. Never mind speakers. I have a habit of swapping my amplifiers from time to time, at the time of posting it was the National receiver that was set up. Can you explain what is wrong with it?

It's inexplicable that you haven't explained what is wrong with it. You also haven't given an example of what you think is good.

It does pan out. I'm one of them... anything under 192K and I can pick the difference. But I suspect you already know this, since you specified 192K and I know I've made posts before saying exactly the same thing.

Righto... :)

Reply to
Jeßus

What rubbish, anyone can pick the difference between 192lbs MP3 and the original CD given the right source material. If it's rap music 64kbs is probably enough however. :-)

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Real world listening tests prove it!

Yaputya

"Yaputya the MORONIC TROLL"

** Crap is just what your pointy, retarded head if chock full of.

FOAD - you pathetic ass.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You don't understand that a dip at 15 kHz isn't perceived by an old fart like you (you must be around 60 years old, you'd be over 40dB down at

15kHz). You are the biggest TROLL in USENET.
Yaputya

Real world tests prove it. There is even an online test you can do to see how you go picking different compression rates. Google it and have a go.

Reply to
Clocky

I didn't say there is anything wrong with it.

And what's a

Off the shelf component systems.

Here's a tip - you haven't asked

Sure, but you said you particularly like the sound of old (70's IIRC) stuff on that setup. Given how that material was recorded and all the other factors it's down to a subjective personal preference to the sound. I've got valve equipment too. Do I like the sound of it? Sure. It's different to my component system, but better technically - I doubt it.

Never mind speakers. I have a habit of

Again, I didn't say there is anything wrong with it. But I'm sure you know that USB DAC's connected to PC's are notoriously noisy.

It's subjective. What I think is good is probably unacceptable to you. I'm quite happy with my Yamaha component system, and I have Stromberg Carlsson receiver that I brought back from the dead that I like to listen to. My musical tastes varies quite a bit, so some stuff sounds better on my system then other stuff but it's a compromise.

I personally hate connecting stuff to my laptop and PC because the noise that is introduced annoys me.

But not which is which in a double blind trial.

But I suspect you already know this, since you

160k is about where it all levels out for most people.

Try this test for fun.

and this one

Given that you are over 25 and have suffered hearing loss why would you think you could possibly hear the difference?

Reply to
Clocky

I thought it was a 'kludge' of a system? ;)

Well, so is my setup? Much of it is vintage gear, but it's been restored professionally.

I agree with that. But weren't you arguing *against* the technical (specs) with Trev on this thread earlier? My Sansui AU717 (which I'm currently using) is better technically, and IMO is better than my Luxman 38FD as well.

Uh, not really. This is my DAC:

I think you'll find it stacks up pretty well against the majority of CD players out there.

That's fair enough.

There's no need for noise just because your source is a PC or laptop... seriously.

The speakers on this PC are the built in speakers for this monitor, which are crap. Otherwise I'd give it a go.

Admittedly I haven't done any testing since circa 2000, but back then I tested myself and I know 192K was the bit rate where I could begin picking the difference. My method may or may not be prefect, but I burned my own CD using WAV files, and mp3 files of the same converted back to WAV again.

Reply to
Jeßus

I'm saying the technical specs are largely irrelevant, and especially when it comes to cables.

My Sansui AU717 (which I'm

Introduced bus noise from the PC side through the power supply seems to be the biggest issue, that's not to say you have that problem and that does seem a nice piece of gear.

I haven't had much luck.

Fair enough.

Things change in 14 years ;-)

Curiously in the first test above my limit seems to be 15khz, which I can hear clearly but 16khz - nothing. My other half who reminds me that I'm deaf often and is quite a bit younger can't hear 15khz, her limit is

14khz. Must be selective hearing loss ;-)
Reply to
Clocky