A good topic for Mythbusters - Page 3

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Once upon a time Highlandish decided to write:

Everyone knows religion is real. If it wasn't real, then why do they exist?

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Reminds me of a SF story I once read where a christian missionary on an
alien world introduces the aliens to the Bible, only to have them attempt to
determine it's truth via experiment; crucifying the missionary to see if he
will rise again in 3 days.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

I read that too, I think it was either in one of those "Amazing" magazines
from the 70s, or a short story collection.

--
Katharine
  "Imitation is the sincerest form of television." - Fred Allen (1894-1956)

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

d44468$950$ snipped-for-privacy@perki.connect.com.au

I heard that cannibals ate missionaries precisely to get god into their
bodies. they figured that if the missionaries had god in them, eat the
missionaries to get god in them too

--
The average person has one testicle and one ovary.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Pretty dumb aliens then.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Nonsense!  It is very sensible to test any theory or hypothesis, and
"test to destruction" frequently yields very important data.

Perhaps you meant, "Pretty dumb missionary"?

    Cheers,
        Gary    B-)

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Yes, but the missionary didn't claim that he himself rose from the dead,
so why kill him to see what happens?  Dumb aliens.  :)

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Didn't he?  Check for errors in translation...  I should drag out a copy
and read it again.

    Cheers,
        Gary    B-)

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

    "The Streets of Ashkelon" by Harry Harrison

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

thanks.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Religion is real. 'God' is a debatable point.

D.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

I suggested on the Discovery channel Mythbusters forum the idea of
testing out if a body "bounces" like in the film Terminal Velocity,
although it didn't seem to attract the attention of anyone official.
Last time I saw, the idea that a person can be sliced in half with a
single samurai sword stroke was the hot topic.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

No way to test this without killing someone.  Buster doesn't count
as he's not a real human, so testing him wouldn't be accurate.  :)

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

4263bfee$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.iprimus.com.au

the terminal velocity bounce is true, and as for the sword/body topic, sword
makers in Japan experimented for many years on capital punishment victims
for many hundreds of years until they perfected the design. it also takes a
martial arts expert to wield the sword precisely to slice through a body.
later they used pics and fresh bamboo scarecrows to simulate a human body.
all of this had been documented (I'm not bothering to look on the net for
sources).

--
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it
back to you when you have forgotten the words.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

I never saw Terminal Velocity but I do know somebody who fell out of the sky
after a parachute malfunction into the Batchelor service station and he
didn't bounce.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Once upon a time I Caught Kate decided to write:

They should check up on the whole Truman theory that Herc keeps on
mentioning, to finally silence him.

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

YEP I'm in for that... If the guys tour aus send em up really!

Aus Skeptics and all the rest are no shows.

Of course when you find out I AM the truman  (why else call it TRUE)
there'll be a change in pecking order around here.

Herc

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Actually, I'd say you will RUE every psychotic post you ever made if they
did investigate your claims.

HR

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

He'd just claim that what they saw and heard was altered by the US
government by sending signals from a satellite straight into their brains...

--
Katharine
  Whatever you delete today, you desperately need tomorrow

Re: A good topic for Mythbusters

Well I'm safe, since I'm wearing a metal colander on my head today.
Otherwise, I'd be thinking like everyoneelse and we just cant have that!

D.

Site Timeline