A good article in a crap magazine

=_NextPart_000_004C_01C58DC2.42BA3AC0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

In the latest ElectroLink July-August 2005 There is a article "Discipline - the noose tightens" page 12 and part =

  1. It tells how we had lifetime registration and soon it is going come to a = end.

Once upon a time we did a apprenticeship, where we went on reduced = wages so we could end up with something at the end of it and now it has = been chip by chip chipped away so now we don't have jack schitt.=20

Don't get me wrong, I think we should be retested from time to time to = see that we are still "safe" trades people, I don't know about Australia = but in New Zealand there are people been electrocuted from time to time = because electricians don't know their trade.=20

My point is are we radio-electronics people been penalized by the = pitiful "electrician camp"? =20

Reply to
Frank

I haven't seen the article yet so I've got no idea why you say that. Want to elaborate?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Anyone going near AC or rectified mains, EHT, laser printer corona, motor drives etc. needs training before they start, whether it's informal (ie apprenticeship) or formal (ie TAFE).

It's too late when your junior techie is in a body bag or having his/her fingers stitched back on. It's fair to say that many of you are ex-sparkies who have found a more enjoyable or profitable career so you're probably well trained in electrical safety anyway.

Retraining never hurts where safety is concerned.

-Andrew M

Once upon a time we did a apprenticeship, where we went on reduced wages so we could end up with something at the end of it and now it has been chip by chip chipped away so now we don't have jack schitt.

Don't get me wrong, I think we should be retested from time to time to see that we are still "safe" trades people, I don't know about Australia but in New Zealand there are people been electrocuted from time to time because electricians don't know their trade.

My point is are we radio-electronics people been penalized by the pitiful "electrician camp"?

Reply to
Andrew M

In NZ, anyone working on mains operated equipment needs registration. The retesting system was a bit of a joke for non-sparkies, and there was a (successful, I believe) move to have separate testing for non-sparkies, though I don't know when the changes are taking place or what they consist of. This may be what Frank is talking about, but it isn't clear.

FWIW, as I understand it the safety side of things was to remain the same.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

[snip]

A couple years ago I got an ESTB (Electrical Service Tech B) which allows me to work on 400V 3-phase fixed-wiring devices. About all I cannot do is be paid to install fixed wiring (who wants to do that) and work behind a switchboard (something I casually ignore when not being paid). I had to do the ESTA first (single-phase equipment with a plug), and man was it boring. The sparky running the course was incapable of doing the simplest calculations using Ohms law, and succeeded only in confusing the class.

As far as re-testing is concerned, I need to get my first-aid certificate re-done every 2 years, and thats about it.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

It's about time they started deregistering techs who post HTML on newsgroups, too ;o)

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Unbeliever