A good article in a crap magazine

In the latest ElectroLink July-August 2005
There is a article "Discipline - the noose tightens" page 12 and part =
14.
It tells how we had lifetime registration and soon it is going come to a =
end.

Once upon a time we did a  apprenticeship, where we went on reduced =
wages so we could end up with something at the end of it and now it has =
been chip by chip chipped away so now we don't have jack schitt.20%

Don't get me wrong, I think we should be retested from time to time to =
see that we are still "safe" trades people, I don't know about Australia =
but in New Zealand there are people been electrocuted from time to time =
because electricians don't know their trade.20%

My point is are we radio-electronics people been penalized by the =
pitiful "electrician camp"?  20%

Re: A good article in a crap magazine

I haven't seen the article yet so I've got no idea why you say that. Want to
elaborate?

Ken

Re: A good article in a crap magazine

Anyone going near AC or rectified mains, EHT, laser printer corona, motor drives
etc.
needs training before they start, whether it's informal (ie apprenticeship) or
formal
(ie TAFE).

It's too late when your junior techie is in a body bag or having his/her fingers
stitched back on. It's fair to say that many of you are ex-sparkies who have
found a
more enjoyable or profitable career so you're probably well trained in
electrical
safety anyway.

Retraining never hurts where safety is concerned.

-Andrew M

[...]

In NZ, anyone working on mains operated equipment needs registration. The
retesting system was a bit of a joke for non-sparkies, and there was a
(successful, I believe) move to have separate testing for non-sparkies,
though I don't know when the changes are taking place or what they consist
of. This may be what Frank is talking about, but it isn't clear.

FWIW, as I understand it the safety side of things was to remain the same.

Cheers.

Ken

Re: A good article in a crap magazine

[snip]

A couple years ago I got an ESTB (Electrical Service Tech B) which
allows me to work on 400V 3-phase fixed-wiring devices. About all I
cannot do is be paid to install fixed wiring (who wants to do that) and
work behind a switchboard (something I casually ignore when not being
paid). I had to do the ESTA first (single-phase equipment with a plug),
and man was it boring. The sparky running the course was incapable of
doing the simplest calculations using Ohms law, and succeeded only in
confusing the class.

As far as re-testing is concerned, I need to get my first-aid
certificate re-done every 2 years, and thats about it.

Cheers
Terry

Re: A good article in a crap magazine

It's about time they started deregistering techs who post HTML on
newsgroups, too ;o)

Cheers,
Alf

Site Timeline