A bright idea.

What do define as cool?

Reply to
Metro

I guess that is understandable if you haven't actually used a high-power LED. I've used several Luxeon Star-O 1W LEDs for torches and a bedside reading lamp, and they have minimal thermal problems. But once you get over a few watts the shit hits the fan, so to speak, as you are obviously well aware.

For those thinking about designing with LED chip arrays, the following link (and other useful stuff on the same site) is recommended.

yaputya

Cool to touch is the commonly accepted meaning in this context. A rough definition would be cool enough to comfortably maintain contact. Maybe less than around 65degC maximum ? The MR16 5W LED units mentioned run much hotter than that.

Reply to
yaputya

**Ambient temperature.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

snip If anyone can define "cool" for me, I would be grateful. I regularly get emails from Debbie and Cassie and Amanda and several Russian young ladies, with all of whom I apparently share a friend who says I am a "cool guy". They all want to be my friend and some even want to send me photographs. So being cool must be a good thing.

Reply to
T.T.