8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan - Page 2

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

I had the money when I was 21 - but saving incredibly hard for a house
deposit was a higher priority.
Travel was a luxury, apart from being costly, it also meant lost
income by being away from work.
If it was work/career related, then it would have been different.

Considering how real estate went up in the early 2000's, I'm glad I
did this and got in early (well very early).

3D%3D3D%

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

same here...i bought my house in 2001.....1 year later prices jumped high up
for 200%...that was a real luck :)

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

By the end of 02 they were starting to rise here.  Probably 2-3 x
increase.

The problem now is that electricity, water and other essentials are
now doing the same.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

Not by anything like as much.

And its trivial to save a lot of the electricity used for winter heating
anyway and end up with no increase in the cost of electricity used.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

If you have offpeak HWS, lag your copper pipes. Dropped that part by 20%.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

Just measured how much I could lag, 1 metre before it dissappears into the
brickwork. Is it worthwhile??

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan
If your copper pipes are 1/2' dia and only short probably not.
In some cases you are only talking a very small volume of water from
heater to tap.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

anyway and end up with no increase in the

brickwork. Is it worthwhile??

Nope.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

I thought so...

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

The bit closest to the cylinder also wastes heat by conducting it from the
cylinder,  maybe 50W(a guess) , if you don't make a special trip to
get materials it'll save you money in the long run.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

Its nothing like 50W

long run.

Sure, but nothing like 20%

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

That's where you lose most of the heat. It's worth lagging, even if you
don't do the rest of the system.
Wait until no water has been drawn for 10 minutes or so, then run your hand
along the pipe. You'll find it's very hot at the cylinder and cools rapidly
as you move along the pipe.

You start to observe the law of diminishing returns as you lag more of the
system - the energy you save is balanced by the lagging costs. It just about
makes sense in a new build, but not if you have to rip off wall coverings.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

IMO, yes. We have that awful mixer crap on the outside, so have a little
bit more copper. Eventually I intend to get under (pillars) and lag the
lot. Only problem has been fining UV resistant cable ties.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

anyway and end up with no increase in the

Mine were lagged when the house was built.

I saved a lot more than that by not using fan heaters.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

Your fan heaters run on off peak?
I shudder to think what the bill would be with fan heater. always had
slow ombustion here, but  LPG/gas heating is far better for most.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

Yep, its called a heatbank.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

hmm...same here...are you sure you are not Croatian?!?! :)))))

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

Prices on local Aussie electronics has been very good in recent years.

dollar value compared to USD has doubled in 10 years:
http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=USD&view10%Y
yes from 48 cents to ~$1.

Then there is what I call the global leveling field, where prices become more
competitive, as there are less middle men,
and less profits from the manufacturer through to the consumer.

In fact right now may be the best time to buy a new PC, etc., before the
Japanese shortage occurs on silicon and other
similar commodities.

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

That happens in certain areas. the area has a poor reputation , but
there are good streets with good houses going cheap. It will eventually
correct.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

Pretty much agree with that.  Its getting unaffordable for people to
service, and there has to be some sort of correction.

Site Timeline