8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

19:30
This is of personal interest to me, as I have a 21 year old grand daughter on a
flight, and about to land in Japan in
about an hour.

And two very stressed parents in Darwin trying to find out where the flight is
landing.

==========================

JAPAN issued its top tsunami warning after a major offshore quake measuring 8.8
hit today, swaying buildings in Tokyo
and sending people fleeing onto the streets.

The country's meteorological agency issued its top-level evacuation alerts for
the entire Japanese coast, warning of a
tsunami of up to six meters.

A tsunami of around one meter later hit Japan's Pacific coast, AFP reported.

Tsunami warnings were also issued for Russia, the Philippines and the Mariana
Islands, according to the Pacific Tsunami
Warning Center.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/magnitude-quake-strikes-japan/story-e6frf7jx-1226019885628

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

landing.

They're unlikely to let it land anywhere where it will be in any danger.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/magnitude-quake-strikes-japan/story-e6frf7jx-1226019885628

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan
hi, i`m sure she be safe,  they would have rerouted the landing....

but i wish i had that sorta money  to fly  to japan when i was 21........
:-(

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/magnitude-quake-strikes-japan/story-e6frf7jx-1226019885628

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

Thanks, she works basically two full time jobs, so she saved long and hard for
it.

And flights from Darwin to virtually anywhere in Asia, are generally a lot
cheaper than Darwin to Sydney or Melbourne, I
might add. Many Darwinites travel to Bali or Singapore for their holidays,
rather than come south. In fact, Bali is dirt
cheap. Just a trip around the block.

Found out the airport is shut, so depending on fuel, she will end up stuck in
China is my bet.

Cheers Don...

=================================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

it.

China is my bet.

Bet she doesnt, there's more than one airport in Japan.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan
for it.
China is my bet.
Quite true but many of the airports suitable have suffered damage
  Now there large numbers of clues out the woddles , why don't you try
catching one for a change

--

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

Not all the airports are damaged, and there is no shortage of them.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan
for it.
China is my bet.

Probably go down to Osaka, since Narita is closed in Tokyo.

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

Just got a facebook message passed onto me about my grand daughter Leesa:

=========================
Leesa Burke
UPDATE: We're all safe and fine!!! Amber Dahlin, Shenayah Windler and @Adam
Ellis are living it up in Guam. None of us
have international roaming though so we're using crappy internet. :) We're not
sure what's going to happen but we were
last told we're heading into Osaka.
6 hours ago
=========================

She has a step father, so when she turned 18, she changed her surname.
Why go half way? She also included Cheryl after my wife, and Danger because she
knew I would like that.
I didn't believe her until she showed me her drivers licence.

"Leesa McKenzie Cheryl Danger Burke".

So her middle name really is Danger. :-)

And I guess most of our drama is now over.

I sent a few messages to friends just north of Tokyo, to make sure they are OK,
but I doubt if I will hear back because
of the power situation with the nuclear plant problems.

It is all pretty unbelievable what has happened in the last few months by mother
nature.

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

There was a time when it was cheaper to take a Darwin/Bali/Perth flight and
have an overnight stay there than pay for a TAA/Ansett direct flight.

PhilD

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan
Hi Don, the ABC news website has a photo of one of Japan's airports.
Looks like a lot of damage.

http://www.abc.net.au/news /

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

like a lot of damage.

Ta, just posted in another message, she got to Guam, and all is well.
Possibly fly into Osaka shortly.

Cheers Don...

===================================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan
Channel 24 announced the diversion about 40 minutes ago , you might want
to watch it ?

--

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan
like a lot of damage.

To finish this story off, just spoke with my grand daughter on the phone, she
was at Cairns airport.

Was in Guam for 24 hours, but only got to see the inside of the airport.
Flown into Narita airport at Tokyo, but hardly stopped long enough to use the
toilet.
Then flown to Cairns, and trying to get a flight back to Darwin.

Some holiday. But rather her back here. Japan has a lot to go through in the
coming weeks, and they don't need tourists
right now.

Cheers Don...

===========================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

you would if your grandfather was Don McKenzie :)))

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

My father was Don McKenzie. Does that count?
:-)

Cheers Don...

================================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

only if he was successful in business as you are :)))

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

Well, on the very day of his 21st birthday, he was in San Franciso!
He was on a government sponsored world trip. They eventually called it WWII.
On the same day, the Japanese bombed Darwin.

He was with the RAAF as an airplane driver doing what they called the empire
training scheme in Edmonton Canada.
His mates talked him into doing a trip south for his birthday to celebrate, so
they got a few days leave, and drove down
to San Francisco, which was a fair sort of drive in 1942.

They wanted to see a little bit of the US, being so close. Actually saw a
horrible version of early colo(u)r TV in a bar
in SF.

Cheers Don...

===================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

hahaha....well, as a Royall pilot he didnt need a travel ticket...just to
sit in any plane and wooooosh :)

gov. sponsored trip = WW2 ...hahahahaha what a black humor :))))))))

color and colour both is better then BW

Re: 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

The compulsory government sponsored trips for Australians to Vietnam
40 odd years ago weren't really
popular either.

Site Timeline