7 specific voltages to display 1,n,2,3,4,5,6 in 7 Segment Display

This is kind of a repost, someone was extemely helpful in getting me code but it was for 6800 assembler.......

Here is what I got.

My motorcycle has an output voltage on the gear position sensor as follows;

1st gear = 1.782v 2nd gear = 2.242v 3rd gear = 2.960v 4th gear = 3.630v 5th gear = 4.310v 6th gear = 4.660v Neutral = 5.000v

I am awaiting a PIC16F873A and programming board, that should arrive soon.

What would the code be in order to take the voltage on an analog input and convert it to the pinouts on the output side to display my various numbers on a 7 segment LED display. I currently program in VBA so understand the logic, jsut not sure about the specific syntaxes and such.

Just like the link below, however I am only going to use a 7-segment for simplicity. Maybe later I will try a 15 segment. I also will have no reverse input and no button to reprogram as I am going to make the code accept a reange of voltage for a given gear.

Any help would be appreciated, as I am quit new to this.

Reply to
b.clarke

The PICAXE would have been much easier from a programming point of view. You really are making it hard for yourself the first time out...

What language do you want to use for your PIC? - assembler?, BASIC?, C? I don't know what's available for free in PIC BASIC compilers these days, but BASIC or C is MUCH easier than PIC assembler.

Your program will (obviously) be something like this in psuedo code: Initialise ADC Initialise I/O ports Initialise other stuff required Start loop Read ADC if (ADC2V AND ADC

Reply to
David L. Jones

I would prefer Basic

Reply to
b.clarke

On 8 Feb 2006 00:31:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@persona.ca put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'd follow Dave's advice and implement a calibration routine to account for variations in your 5V (or 6V?) regulator and/or your signal source.

I don't know how the kit does it, but this would be my suggestion:

Press the button (S1) for three secs. The LED should flash "C" to indicate calibration mode. Press S1. Display flashes "1". Select 1st gear and press S1. PIC acquires the sensor voltage. The display should now show a steady "1". Press S1. Display flashes "2". Select 2nd gear and press S1. PIC acquires the sensor voltage. The display should now show a steady "2". Repeat for remaining gears and neutral ("0" ?) Indicate any errors with a flashing "E".

You could also have the PIC report the actual voltage by displaying each of three digits at 1 sec intervals. This would serve as confirmation that you've selected the correct gear.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Then you should strongly re-consider a PICAXE. There are basic compilers for PICs, but the decent ones cost money and still present the considerable challenges of programming a microcontroller - I'm sure you could work it all out eventually, but the learning curve is steep.

You're not going to be able to program is sucessfully by asking a series of questions on discussion forums - you need to get a decent book or read and study the many guides and tutorials available online.

Reply to
Poxy

Nicely put. I completely agree. PICAXE is by far the best solution in the case of the OP. Anything else will lead to frustration.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones