5.8GHz A/V transmission equipment (Jaycar AR1840) Removed from Shelves...

Hi Everyone,
Jaycar removed the AR1840 5.8GHz A/V Sender/ receiver from their Shelves a
few weeks ago, It turned out that the Band is limited for Digital Signals
only,
So now they are saying its ok to Sell them , but to advise the Customer that
they do not comply with the ACME class license requirements for this band.
The regulations specify digital transmissions only on this band. The AR1840
A/V sender does not therefore carry c-tick compliance.

They Say it's not currently illegal to offer the AR1840  for sale providing
a point of sale tag is displayed to help make people aware of this.

Would that be correct?
That there is no control on what anyone sells, providing the customer is
informed?
I suppose the difference is only the type of signal, i.e. Digital vs.
Analogue so may be that's only  a small thing, as compared to a unit being
of too high power output or poor quality transmitter.

Thanks
Allan

Re: 5.8GHz A/V transmission equipment (Jaycar AR1840) Removed from Shelves...

"Allan"

** Not very likely.

The penalty on a company supplying a "non-standard device"  is a fine of up
to $1.5M.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ra1992218/s160.html

**  See above  -  $1.5M is a big fine.

The fine for possessing such a device with intension to operate it is the
same:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ra1992218/s158.html

A "non standard device" is one that dos not comply with the relevant ACMA
standard:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ra1992218/s9.html

......  Phil

Re: 5.8GHz A/V transmission equipment (Jaycar AR1840) Removed from Shelves...

"Phil Allison"

"  The penalty on a company supplying a "non-standard device"  is a fine
of up  to $1.5M.

 http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ra1992218/s160.html "

** Given that a "penalty unit"  is a bit s over $100

-  the max fine is a mere $ 150,000.

Nothing to get too worried about .......

.......   Phil

Re: 5.8GHz A/V transmission equipment (Jaycar AR1840) Removed from Shelves...

Thanks Phil.
Iam not going to risk it.
Cheers
Allan

Re: 5.8GHz A/V transmission equipment (Jaycar AR1840) Removed from Shelves...

Road

Ah, everyone wants some power and its execution it would seem. We not only
have federal and state governments making different laws to control you
life, municipal councils do it as well. With hundreds of different local
councils, the war between Commonwealth and states pales by comparison.

Thanks, I do get a chuckle from the misuse of sayings such as this :-)

MrT.

Re: 5.8GHz A/V transmission equipment (Jaycar AR1840) Removed from Shelves...

I can weigh into this one a bit, I spoke to Jaycar Techstore regarding
these yesterday, and yes they were recalled, but apparently they were
incorrect in recalling them and that they in fact were operating in the
correct band, and are 100% legal. That's what they told me anyway.

Cheers
Adam

Re: 5.8GHz A/V transmission equipment (Jaycar AR1840) Removed from Shelves...

"eeviil inc."

**  LOL   !!

 Well,   they would say that,  wouldn't they  ??

......  Phil

Re: 5.8GHz A/V transmission equipment (Jaycar AR1840) Removed from Shelves...

"Phil Allison"

** Here is the Class License doc that covers the case in question:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/71D36E0C17A40CB3CA2571B80018AF7A /$file/RadcomLIPDClassLic2000.pdf

No 19  covers the usual AV senders on 2.4 GHz  to 10mW output  -  since it
is for " all transmitters ".

5.8 GHz is reserved to  RC,  telemetry and RF  ID equipment.

Site Timeline