41GR8840 Blows Fuses

I have a Philips 41GR8840 rear projection TV which blows the main circuit board fuse instantly (even when the unit is in standby mode)Leading up to this problem it used to make a funny crackling noise. I dao't have a circuit diagram and feel like I'm fumbling in the dark a bit. Can anyone shed any light as to the possible problem?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
dgliddell

there's a short somewhere in the unit.

Reply to
Craig Hart

Hello Craig,

Or maybe a capacitor on the verge of failing.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

It just blows with the wire melted. I have disconnected the leads off to other parts to the unit (eg EHT) therefore isolating the power supply section. The result is the fuse blowing just the same.

Reply to
dgliddell

** You do realise the fuse MUST be a "slow blow" type ????
** See above - a standard (plain wire) fuse will blow at EVERY switch on due to the massive surge drawn by the de-gaussing coil.

............ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Does it just blow with the wire melted or is it an almighty bang with the fuse glass shattered and blackened on the inside?.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Does the original fuse have a little spring inside or blobs of solder-like metal on the wire?.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Do rear projection TV's have a degaussing coil Phil?, I've never seen the inside of one.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

I was just about to ask the same question.The main fuse should be a slow blow type. Primary power supply fault, bridge rectifier?, main filtering cap? chopper transistor?

Reply to
valiumboy