41GR8840 Blows Fuses

I have a Philips 41GR8840 rear projection TV which blows the main
circuit board fuse instantly (even when the unit is in standby
mode)Leading up to this problem it used to make a funny crackling
noise. I dao't have a circuit diagram and feel like I'm fumbling in the
dark a bit. Can anyone shed any light as to the possible problem?

Thanks

Dave

Re: 41GR8840 Blows Fuses

there's a short somewhere in the unit.

Re: 41GR8840 Blows Fuses

Hello Craig,

Or maybe a capacitor on the verge of failing.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: 41GR8840 Blows Fuses

Does it just blow with the wire melted or is it
an almighty bang with the fuse glass shattered
and blackened on the inside?.

Re: 41GR8840 Blows Fuses

It just blows with the wire melted. I have disconnected the leads off
to other parts to the unit (eg EHT) therefore isolating the power
supply section. The result is the fuse blowing just the same.

Re: 41GR8840 Blows Fuses

< snipped-for-privacy@aapt.net.au

** You do realise the fuse MUST be a  "slow blow"  type ????

 **  See above -  a standard  (plain wire)  fuse will blow at EVERY switch
on due to the massive surge drawn by the de-gaussing coil.

............    Phil

Re: 41GR8840 Blows Fuses

Does the original fuse have a little spring inside
or blobs of solder-like metal on the wire?.

Re: 41GR8840 Blows Fuses

Do rear projection TV's have a degaussing coil Phil?,
I've never seen the inside of one.

Re: 41GR8840 Blows Fuses

I was just about to ask the same question.The main fuse should be a slow
blow type.
Primary power supply fault, bridge rectifier?, main filtering cap? chopper
transistor?