3V 100mA solar panel

I'm looking for a 3V or 4V, 100mA solar panel to replace the one in an
LED "eternity lamp" such as are used to illuminate headstones.

The panel consists of 8 cells. Its dimensions are 11.5cm x 6.7cm x
2mm. I don't have any leeway in the dimensions, as the replacement
panel must fit into an existing cutout in the metalwork.

I'm guessing at the specs, but I may be able to get away with a 50mA
panel. It supplies a 74HC14 Schmitt trigger oscillator which drives a
high brightness 10mm white LED, giving a flickering effect. It also
charges two AA NiCd batteries which provide power during the night.

I've tried DSE, Jaycar, Altronics, Oatley, and numerous online
suppliers.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: 3V 100mA solar panel
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 06:28:06 +1100, Franc Zabkar

The solar panel looks like the one here:
http://www.accessories4graves.ie/images/img_l_6.jpg

The panel is the blue rectangle at the top.

This is the actual lamp:
http://www.accessories4graves.ie/images/img_l_7.jpg

- Franc Zabkar

Re: 3V 100mA solar panel
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:22:28 +1100, Franc Zabkar

You might try panels from solar 'garden' or 'pathway' lights.  They
normally charge 2 NiCd cells in series at about 50 ma.  Commonly about
5.5cm x 5.5cm.  Two of these panels wired in parallel would fit in the
space required and provide 100ma. (Mine are 3.0mm thick though).

Re: 3V 100mA solar panel
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:26:36 +1000, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Good idea, thanks. I'll have a go, but I'm not sure if I can make it
look good. The cheap solar lights that I bought some months ago have
already faded badly, so I'll need something with hail resistant glass.
The extra thickness is not a serious problem. I'll just need to be a
little creative with the retaining bracket. In fact the original
mounting was shoddily put together, resulting in stress which caused
the panel to crack. I think the rain got in and corroded one or more
of the cell interconnects.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: 3V 100mA solar panel
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 06:50:11 +1100, Franc Zabkar

Off topic comment but these things hardly sound like an Eternity Lamp.
Apart from the failure mode you're currently working to remedy, the
NiCd cells are only going to last a few years max which is a tad shy
of my understanding if eternity!

John

Re: 3V 100mA solar panel
finger to keyboard and composed:

Agreed, hence my use of quotes.

This will be the third time I've replaced them in 10 years. As for the
solar panel, I've been looking at dozens of different designs, but
only two HPM garden lamps had glass tops. I finally decided to try
adapting a very large, glass topped, 4V panel from a step light kit by
fitting it over the hole. It comes with three batteries as well, so
that should improve the light output.

BTW, I did try contacting the original supplier, but both their emails
addresses bounced, and they haven't returned my phone call.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: 3V 100mA solar panel
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:27:03 +1100, Franc Zabkar

The instructions state that the "lights should achieve optimum light
output after the remote panel has been exposed to 4 days / nights of
sunlight, enabling the batteries to fully charge".

- Franc Zabkar