$399AUD Netbook sale on again

so many people took advantage of the $399 eee-pc-1000he netbook sale
last time, I felt I better mention that it is on again.

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au /

I noticed some users experienced a few problems, but they seem to have
overcome them.

I had a problem yesterday, that I ended up spending quite a bit of time on.

Wireless network card went missing. I had installed a 2 gig ram to
replace the one gig ram that it came with. You need to do an F2, get
into bios, then a save via F10, and the 2 gig is recognized. I did a
small write up on this on the EEE user group.

However, did I upset the WLAN, and accidentally disable it, when I
jumped into BIOS?

I guess I must have. (Silly Old Fart Syndrome)

All is well now, and I have no further reason to buy yet another $399
netbook. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: $399AUD Netbook sale on again

Dsm, I just spent $459.00 on one.

Re: $399AUD Netbook sale on again

snip

I bought another one.
It needs me.

Re: $399AUD Netbook sale on again

 Yesterday. I copied across data files in readiness to install software.
I have installed avg, tidied up desktop shortcuts.
 I used Add/Remove programs to remove the MS Office 2007 trial software.
Since then, booting, which was previously less than a minute now takes in
excess of 4 minutes.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Re: $399AUD Netbook sale on again

I've done the same thing, removed Office 2007 (installed 2003) and installed
free AVG.
No problems, boots in one minute.

Dave.

Re: $399AUD Netbook sale on again

The four-minute boot, as it turned out, was merely a symptom. The machine
hangs and the Windows sounds, annoying enough in their own right, are slow
and gurgly. It is a dud and has gone back. The return arrangements were
clear and prompt. COTD gave us a number to call at Asus, Asus arranged for
DHL to call us and DHL emailed us a label to attach to the box with the dud
eee. DHL arrived as promised to pick up the parcel. It all happened within
24 hours. Full marks so far.

Re: $399AUD Netbook sale on again

Today, six days later, the eee arrived back by courier, without any
documentation.
It is the same machine (same serial number).
It required initialisation, or whatever it is called, but now it runs OK,
the sound is OK and with my software installed it takes 1 minute twenty
seconds to boot.
So far so good. If it is indeed fixed, their attitude and response has been
exemplary.

Re: $399AUD Netbook sale on again

Installed 32 Windows updates and I'm back to the four-minute boot, gurgly
sound and the thing hanging after a few minutes.
Back it goes, with a little less goodwill this time.

Re: $399AUD Netbook sale on again

Strange, I got Windows XP Pro on mine with all current updates, takes 51 sec
from hitting power switch to Press Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. After I log in its
another 30-40 sec until I can work but that depends on how much crap you load at
startup. That's on batteries, haven't tried if mains power makes any difference.
Tom

Re: $399AUD Netbook sale on again

The eee has arrived back again. The paperwork with it is a carbon copy and
hard to read but it seems they have replaced the motherboard.
I have installed 32 Windows updates. So far so good. It runs as expected and
boots in about eighty seconds.
Next step to install AVG and remove unwanted software. I hope it keeps
working. I want to like it.

Site Timeline