$399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Hey, so has mine! Might just get it by next Friday then...

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

Interesting comment. My work Dell laptop, supplied by my engager, won't run more than about 10 minutes on a fully charged battery, although the machine is only about 18 months old and hasn't been subject to any misuse. I wonder whether the machine supplier uses large supply bundles to corporate buyers to offload old stock or shonky parts. Wouldn't put it past them.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

My employer supplies all the techies with Dell laptops, I have had 3. None of the batteries have lasted past 18 months.

Reply to
keithr

my two haven't yet, so much for first in, first out :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

If the laptops are using Lithium Ion batteries, these batteries have a fixed shelf life of around 5 years from the day of manufacture. The batteries capacity degrades by around 20% a year irregardless of use. Some Lithium Ion batteries which are sold new, may have been sitting on a shelf or in a warehouse for years, so its possible to get a Laptop with a "new" lithium Ion battery which has already lost a fair part of its capacity. Also , the degredation rate is increased if the battery is subject to temperatures above 35C.

Reply to
Mauried

Absolutely. When I went on a world trip I specifically bought a Fuji Lifebook sub-notebook that was not much bigger than my palm and weighed under 1kg

*with* the power adapter and case. The tiny screen and keyboard was adequate, and you quickly learn to appreciate the benefit of tiny and light when you lug it through 30 airports. In fact I was never asked once to xray it because no one thought it was a "notebook". Probably not the case nowadays because people are used to seeing these smaller netbooks. Small is also very handy when you can, for example, fit it in your wifes purse when you go out for dinner, or stick it in a tiny corner of your backpack when you go climbing mountains because you don't want to leave it in the hotel room.

A real pain for serious everyday work of course, but a gem when you are on the move. This new Asus will probbaly be the twice the size of my old Fuji, but it's much fuller featured. Should be nice.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

Me too post :-)

Reply to
Clocky

:-( First in, last out?

Me no post still.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Seems a little unjust given that your post here sold a number of them!

Reply to
Clocky

Crap

More crap

Possibly. See above.

True.

Reply to
who where

My shipping notice came in this afternoon.

Reply to
keithr

Earlier this year we spent 2 weeks in NZ. I used my iPod Touch for e-mail, it was good enough - just. I also have a Psion which I was given, nice and pocketable, but I have never really found a good use for it. I think that the 10" netbook is about the smallest practical size for general use.

Reply to
keithr

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com.au said... : :Don McKenzie wrote: :> Clocky wrote: :>> David L. Jones wrote: :>>> L.A.T. wrote: :>>>> Mine has been "shipped". :>>>> Not sure what that means, but they have given us a tracking number. :>>> Hey, so has mine! :>>> Might just get it by next Friday then... :>>>

:>>

:>> Me too post :-) :> :> :-( :> First in, last out? :> :> Me no post still. :> :> Don... :> :> :My shipping notice came in this afternoon.

Bon voyage :)

Reply to
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

Merci :)

Reply to
keithr

You dont qualify for any mercy, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Sacre bleu! Il est l'idiot de l'ouest. Bon chance mon petit cochon.

Reply to
keithr

The tension is almost unbearable. At 6:30 this morning mine was at a post office not 20 kilometres away. But not my local post office.

Reply to
L.A.T.

Bingo! It's amazing. Why didn't I get two?

Reply to
L.A.T.

Mine is only about 5km away! If I was in my companies old building, it would only be literally two doors away. Who will score first and win bragging rights?...

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

Damn, pipped at the post! Just got mine. Quite amazing delivery for the number of units they had to ship. And here I was was thinking I wouldn't get it by this Friday! Brand new in the sealed box. No extra packaging though, just the original ASUS box thrown in a courier satchel. Mine arrived in first class condition though. Have to fire it up now...

Thanks Don!