$399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz. - Page 2

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

With tons of memory, don't need a swap under normal circumstances.
Windows by default likes to swap everything, with 2 gig I like to do a
No Swap File. Will make it faster. But if you decide to do video editing
it will crash.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.
:
:> said...
:> :
:> :keithr wrote:
:> <snip>
:> :> I'm using one now, the 10" screen is fine (1024x600) my only problem
:> :> with it is the tiny shift key.
:> :>
:> :> The claimed 9 hour battery life may be a bit expectant though, I've
:> :> never managed much better than 6 hours with the screen turned down,
:> :> WiFi, camera and bluetooth turned off, and the CPU at the lowest clock
:> :> speed. Realistically with WiFi on the battery lasts 4 hours give or
:> :> take.
:> :> I have put a 2 gig DIMM in in place of the 1 gig supplied.
:> :
:> :Probably goes some ways to explaining the decrease in battery life.
:>
:> Would RAM really chew that much extra power though?
:
:
:Wouldn't make that much difference
:
:More memory will use more juice, but your saving less access to the
:disk and the disk would be powered down more often. So it sort of
:balances out.

Good point on the HDD, I didn't think RAM would use much power.
CPU is another story, of course. Not that you get to upgrade many CPUs
in laptops :)

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Some back of envelope calcs:

Taking a random 1GB SODIMM datasheet:
http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/modules/ddr2/HTF16C128_256x64H.pdf
(not sure if it's actually compatible, but should give a reasonbale estimate
anyway)
The typical active standby current is almost 1A @ 1.8V, or 1.8W, and that's
doing nothing. Can be over 6W peak when doing stuff.

The 1000HE battery pack is around 90Wh (8700mAh @ 10.8V), so would use
roughly 10W for 9 hours. The standard 1GB SODIMM would take almost 1/5th of
that power just sitting idle doing nothing. Likely to be significantly
higher in actual use, so say the SODIMM might be as high as 30% of the
consumption.
So the double capacity SODIMM would be a fairly significant extra
consumption, and the figures would roughly match up to what Keith gets.

Dave.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

I just noticed they have the current specs for the 2GB module too.
In some cases the 1GB module is higher, what-the?
You'd have to actually compare the 2GB module used to the 1Gb module it
replaced. Likely to be large differences between brands etc.

Dave.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

I would expect the current draws to be fairly similar, the main
difference that I would expect is that there are twice as many cells to
refresh on the 2gig part so, in terms of watt hours it will be more
power hungry. However, I wouldn't expect it to be hugely different.

Maybe I'll work up the enthusiasm to put the original DIMM back in and
check the difference, but it is not easy so set up a completely
controlled test.

However, I find the battery life good enough for most purposes and
significantly better than the Dell Lattitude laptop that my employer
provides me with, that could not manage much more than 2.5 hours even
when it was new.

OT: Batteries in corporate laptops

Interesting comment. My work Dell laptop, supplied by my engager, won't run
more than about 10 minutes on a fully charged battery, although the machine
is only about 18 months old and hasn't been subject to any misuse. I wonder
whether the machine supplier uses large supply bundles to corporate buyers
to offload old stock or shonky parts. Wouldn't put it past them.

Re: OT: Batteries in corporate laptops

My employer supplies all the techies with Dell laptops, I have had 3.
None of the batteries have lasted past 18 months.

Re: OT: Batteries in corporate laptops

http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/modules/ddr2/HTF16C128_256x64H.pdf

If the laptops are using Lithium Ion batteries, these batteries have a
fixed shelf life of around 5 years from the day of manufacture.
The batteries capacity degrades by around 20% a year irregardless of
use.
Some Lithium Ion batteries which are sold new, may have been sitting
on a shelf or in a warehouse for years, so its possible to get a
Laptop with a "new" lithium Ion battery which has already lost a fair
part of its capacity.
Also , the degredation rate is increased if the battery is subject to
temperatures above 35C.

Re: OT: Batteries in corporate laptops

http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/modules/ddr2/HTF16C128_256x64H.pdf

Crap

More crap

Possibly.  See above.

True.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

said...
:
:Je▀us wrote:
:> snipped-for-privacy@migo.com said...
:>>
:>> keithr wrote:
:> <snip>
:>>> I'm using one now, the 10" screen is fine (1024x600) my only problem
:>>> with it is the tiny shift key.
:>>>
[...]

That really surprises me - 1.8/6W!
Very interesting, thanks Dave.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Whoops, turns out the actual battery pack is marked 62Wh (8700mAh @ 7.2V),
not 90Wh I got from some website.
So those ballpack consumption figures for the SODIMM are even worse than I
quoted.

Dave.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

RAM is quite power hungry, even at idle. Skip a few posts down, someone else
has done some math.

:>> keithr wrote:
[...]

Indeed, I had no idea they consumed so much power.
I guess given the large capacities these days explains why.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

I got 4 of the old 7" models, and they were really just a toy.

I'm now into my 4th 10", and they are really sweet.

I am 66, and have worn glasses since I was 24, so I feel they are very
workable. For traveling, they are ideal.

I have run my business on them during PC downtime, and maintenance
periods. I have one PC down right now. Windows XP update went wacky, and
we may have to back up from acronis, or re-install xp. The joys of
windows. :-)

Asus also has a stand alone mini-PC called the Ebox B202:
http://www.getprice.com.au/Asus-E-Box-B202-PC-Gpnc_25--40380475.htm

well this 1000HE is cheaper than that, and you can still plug in a large
screen, keyboard, and mouse. Netbook screen can then be switched off,
and case shut, if you wish.

These things aren't lightning fast, but they tackle most jobs that most
people need.

Step up the CPU grunt, and screen res, and they will replace PC's as we
know them.

Netbooks have only been around 2 years. Another 2 years, we will see
even more dramatic changes in the PC market. Netbooks now outsell
standard notebooks. Go Google.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

If you say so.  Then again, if you step up the CPU specs, and screen
resolution (presumably with a bigger screen to match), you end up
with... a laptop.

I've never seen the appeal of such tiny screens and even tiner
keyboards (which can be flat out unusable for those of us with fat
clumsy fingers :-) )

Especially given the full size laptop w/ 2.2GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, 160GB
HDD, DVD burner and 15.6" screen I'm typing this on cost me $598 brand
new. I also got to pick it up in person an hour after ordering it
instead of waiting 8 days.

And I've just checked, they're now selling them for $558.  Bastards!

Cheers,
Andy.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

perhaps I should have specified, what I mean is more res on the vga
external output.

when it can run my 22-24" screen, and have the power of my PC, then I
don't need a PC anymore.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

I've been carting full sized laptops around for the last 13 years, but I
find the netbook much more pleasant to travel with, smaller, lighter,
and if you do use it on your lap, much cooler too. If all you want is
something neat to sit on the desk, then a conventional laptop is great,
but if you are going to cart it around and use without furniture, then
the netbook has the advantage.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Absolutely.
When I went on a world trip I specifically bought a Fuji Lifebook
sub-notebook that was not much bigger than my palm and weighed under 1kg
*with* the power adapter and case. The tiny screen and keyboard was
adequate, and you quickly learn to appreciate the benefit of tiny and light
when you lug it through 30 airports. In fact I was never asked once to xray
it because no one thought it was a "notebook". Probably not the case
nowadays because people are used to seeing these smaller netbooks. Small is
also very handy when you can, for example, fit it in your wifes purse when
you go out for dinner, or stick it in a tiny corner of your backpack when
you go climbing mountains because you don't want to leave it in the hotel
room.

A real pain for serious everyday work of course, but a gem when you are on
the move.
This new Asus will probbaly be the twice the size of my old Fuji, but it's
much fuller featured. Should be nice.

Dave.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

Earlier this year we spent 2 weeks in NZ. I used my iPod Touch for
e-mail, it was good enough - just. I also have a Psion which I was
given, nice and pocketable, but I have never really found a good use for
it. I think that the 10" netbook is about the smallest practical size
for general use.

Re: $399 XP Asus 1000HE Netbook in oz.

I paid over $800 for mine a few months ago!

Site Timeline