32pin DIP ZIF socket "small"

Hello knowledgeable people !

I'm doing some projects that involve the frequent install and removal of a
32pin DIP chip on a board and i'm hoping to be able to find something
locally like the Aries Lo-PRO ZIF sockets, in 32 pin format (or even some 40
pin ones i can modify to suit 32 pin use...)

Is there anything similar Dimensionally that works the same as a ZIF setup?

The closest thing i can find (from the limited places that i know to look)
is from RS, but its just a mechanical ejection mechanism, the design of the
contact point (looks like a machine pin socket) will still wear down the
pins with repeated use from what i've been told.

Thanks!

Re: 32pin DIP ZIF socket "small"

As you mentioned small in the subject, I am assuming you mean a .3"
footprint.

http://www.futurlec.com.au/Sockets/ZIFU32.jsp
these will take .3 or .6" chips, as they are what they call a universal
socket, but they have a .6" base with large-ish pins.

I can see that you are prepared to put in a bit of effort. If you can
make an adapter to get from .6 to .3 on the base, then this would work.

Or if you can get a crimp 32 pin .3 header, perhaps a ribbon cable plug
in setup.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: 32pin DIP ZIF socket "small"
Thanks Don,

I have a board that has got 2 sockets side by side now, the catch is that
normal 0.6" universal zif sockets are way too wide to fit on the board
because the machine pin sockets that are there now already are too close
together (the designer of the board didn't antisipate such freqent
removal/installation i don't think).

the board looks similar in chip layout to this:

http://www.calumsult.com/calumsu/roms%20in%20db.JPG

but there are no zif sockets already on it and they're closer together....

Having a look at the details of the 0.3" sockets they may suit, with a
little modding/adapter,  but as you say, i am not afraid of doing some work
so it might be worth a shot. Even if its cheap and crude just for testing. i
can always burn the final data to new chips.

Thanks !

Re: 32pin DIP ZIF socket "small"

What I've done to get around this problem is to stack 1, 2 or 3....  0.3"
machine pin sockets on top of each other until it clears the surrounding
real estate & stick the zif skt on top. I've had no probs, may be an issue
at very high freq / data rates.

Re: 32pin DIP ZIF socket "small"
I'll give it a go, thanks!

Re: 32pin DIP ZIF socket "small"

Den just beat me to it, after the last info you gave.

http://www.dontronics.com/hints.html#sockets
has it all.

Cheers Don...

--