2N1100 Germanium Transistors

Hi Guys,

I have a box of the above each neatly packaged into pairs but cannot find
any reliable info

they are branded motorola, made in Mexico and dated 7551 (51st week of
1975).

They appear to be germanium transistors with the strangest case i've ever
seen!

I'm trying to decide if i dump them, sell them on e-bay or keep them.

Does anyone know of any uses for them or for that matter want them!

Best Regards,

Darren McInnes

Re: 2N1100 Germanium Transistors

"Darren McInnes"

 **  Hexagonal pack  -   right  ???

 **  E-bay will just love 'em.

**  My data book says they are Germanium, PNP with current and voltage specs
similar to a MJ2955.

...............   Phil

Re: 2N1100 Germanium Transistors

find
7551
ever

Or could be a TO-36 ?  Round case (1.25" dia, 0.5" high),
with 2 leads in a triangular formation with insulated index pin
and threaded bolt with a solder eyelet through the centre of
the underside of the package?
(RCA may have used a different packaging to Motorola).

specs

My RCA Manual says - obsolete
Germanium PNP
VCB  100V
VBE   80V
Ic        15A
Pt        150W
HFE     min 25

Cheers,
Alan

Re: 2N1100 Germanium Transistors

Thanks everyone i can't guess as to the package so here's a link

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~drmcinnes /

apologies for the quality of the images and the web site I only put it up to
share the photo!

and again thanks to everyone for the help.

Best Regards,

Darren McInnes

SNIP

Re: 2N1100 Germanium Transistors

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:48:00 +1000, "Darren McInnes"

Saw these in a old piece of ex-army surplus equipment back in the
early 80's.   A pair of them were used to drive a centre tapped 12v
primary of a transformer to use it as an inverter.

As I recall judging from the application and current being drawn at
the time,   I would agree with phils and alan's comments as being
similar specs to a 2955 type device.

Re: 2N1100 Germanium Transistors

They actually come in pairs in sealed plastic bags possibly matched?

I'm tempted to actually do something with them now!

Darren McInnes

Re: 2N1100 Germanium Transistors

**Similar specs as a 2N174. Case is a TO-36. This was common with high power
Ge trannys.

PNP
VCB  100
VEB   80
IE      15 Amps
IB       4 Amps
Thermal R (Junction to case)  0.5oC/W
Common Emitter cut-off frequency   10kHz   (!!!!!)

Pretty potent device for a Germanium tranny.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: 2N1100 Germanium Transistors

   These would be great for the mid '60s to early '70s car radios that
used a DS501, 2N173 or 2N174 transistors.  I have the three page
Motorola data sheet in the 1970 Motorola Semiconductor data book, but it
is very hard to scan because the paper is so thin you get print through.
I'm looking for some black construction paper to reduce the effect. If I
can find some I'll scan it for you.

   BTW, the T)36 case was often referred to as a "Doorknob"

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Re: 2N1100 Germanium Transistors

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:09:05 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"

<snip>

Hello  Michael,
this fellow can join the end of the queue!    :-)
Remember  the HP411A schematic scan
you were going to do for me.  I bet you forgot!

Happens to me a lot lately, I walk into a room
and wonder "What did I come in here for?"

Regards,
John Crighton
Sydney

Re: 2N1100 Germanium Transistors

   I didn't forget, it just takes time to piece multiple page schematics
back together.  Here is part of the manual:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/HP-411A-5-10.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/HP411A-5-11_12-B.gif

I still have to do a lot of cleanup to the rest of the manual.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Re: 2N1100 Germanium Transistors

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 06:26:50 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"

Hello Michael,
the quality of those diagrams are fine.
I can read them.   Thanks for that.
I am going to enjoy poking around in
this old millivoltmeter.  I never imagined
in a voltmeter there would be an electric
motor spining a disk with holes in it that
allowed light to travel along a plastic tube
to shine on to light dependant resistors.
Now I can see a 100KHz oscillator there
too!  I wonder what that does.

 With the circuit from you, Michael, I can
get this old meter partly working.  Half the
probe is missing, the bit with the diodes in it.
When I find that part or a replacement probe,
there is a chap down in Adelade who has
some probe accessories for sale, then it will
all come together.   Excellent!
 You know, this is news groups working at
their best.  I am enjoying this.

This is my type of electronics.  Knobs, switches,
motor, meter, valves, transistors and all in the
one box too.  I love it!  Thanks again Mike.   :-)

Regards,
John Crighton
Sydney

Re: 2N1100 Germanium Transistors

Thank you very much Michael it would be greatly appreciated but don't go out
of your way
I have too many projects on already and doubt I could do anything with them
soon!

They have been sitting in a box at my new house for a year, before that 15
years in Alphington, Vic.
and then in my father's house since 79!

Darren McInnes