24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

Hello I have done the rounds of Lawrence & Hanson, Dick smith, and other electronic supply co's. but non can supply.

I am after

24 or 26 guage TWIN LEAD WIRE, single wire, not multi stranded. Reel quantities.

Can anyone help supply or point me in the right direction. thanks Steve REPLY if by email to OZBIZ@OBZIZ(notthisbit).ORG

Thanks

Reply to
dontevenuse

what size is that in metric ? I would there is a builder wire to suite ( lousy and hungrys will have it)

Reply to
atec77

Umn, bit of a guestimate here. look at Dick Smiths Guage vs MM site :-)) But around 0.4 to 0.5 mm

Reply to
dontevenuse

Oh , I know you can but 1mm or .9 mm single strand builders wire but your ask seems a bit thin must it be plastic coated or would enameled suffice ?

Reply to
atec77

Not sure, suppose enamelled would do. Would have to try it. Dont think it will matter fo my uses. Main thing is single wire, but twin lead.

Reply to
dontevenuse

** The stuff you are after is known as in the trade as " bell wire ".

Seems to be readily available everywhere except in Australia.

Try a big hardware store or other place that sells door bells and accessories.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Why single wire ?

Reply to
atec77

Commonly called Twin Twist Bell Wire, one red and one white wire, single strand core. Often used as the lead-in wire between the shot-firing box (exploder) and electric detonators used in a blast if the lead-in wire is not too long. Can be purchased from most wholesale electrical suppliers. Srr the following link....

APR

"APR"

** Nope.

Bell wire is a flat, "figure 8" style cable.

Used to carry the low voltage AC supply for domestic door bells.

Normally just plain white to blend into the wall or skirting boards.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I agree with Phil. I used bell wire in the 70s when playing around with door bells etc.

Mitch.. (Don't know were to get it now though sorry )

Reply to
Mitchell

Here is a link to Dyno Nobel in Australia where they give a very limited description of what is commonly termed Twin Twist Bell Wire in the explosives industry.

I have purchased this wire from various electrical wholesalers over the years. Below is a pdf link for an Ausie supplier.

APR

"APR"

** Who gives a FUCK ??

The OP is after " TWIN LEAD WIRE" !!

He is not after *blasting* cable.

Wrong stuff, wrong topic.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I note the original poster stated he had tried L&H. I have purchased this cable from L&H also in the past. Their P/N for the product is PIR5414387. Go to the hagemeyer web site and do a search on the P/N and it will pull it up.

Here is another link to this cable at the Prysmian (Pirelli) web site.

Go right to the bottom of the page. To be noted with this product from the various manufacturers that there is a considerable difference in the tensile strength of the products for the same wire diameter.

This wire is/was predominately used in the telephone industry and has nothing to do with doorbells.

Reply to
APR

I am sorry Phil, you are wrong. The blasting industry uses this product because it is available and suits a purpose. Review the available literature on this cable and you will see that it is quite possibly what he is after.

As I state in another post, this cable has nothing to do with doorbells but a lot to do with the telephone industry in past years and the use of bells.

Reply to
APR

"APR"

** Huh ?????????????????

Who mentioned explosives ????

** " Bell wire" is simply NOT the same thing.

D I C K H E A D !!!!

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hi APR, Phil is right, Phil is always right, Phil *must* be right, this is the Phil way of things, welcome to Phil's world... Cheers

Reply to
Kim Elve

that sounds like the stuff in CAT5 cables, but I'm guessing you want figure-8 instead of twisted pair.

"doorbell wire" last time I saw that stuff in DSE it was way expensive. tried Rexel?

--

Bye.
   Jasen

If you were desperate enough you could strip open a CAT5 cable. They have 4 seperate twisted pairs of 24AWG solid bare copper. Different colours to boot.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Two pair telephone cable might suffice , very very cheap as well.

Reply to
atec77