24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

Hello
I have done the rounds of Lawrence & Hanson, Dick smith, and other
electronic supply co's. but non can supply.

I am after
24 or 26 guage TWIN LEAD WIRE, single wire, not multi stranded.
Reel quantities.

Can anyone help supply or point me in the right direction.
thanks
Steve
REPLY if by email
to OZBIZ@OBZIZ(notthisbit).ORG

Thanks

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

what size is that in metric ?
  I would there is a builder wire to suite
  ( lousy and hungrys will have it)

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

Umn, bit of a guestimate here. look at Dick Smiths Guage vs MM site
:-))
But around 0.4 to 0.5 mm

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

Oh , I know you can but 1mm or .9 mm single strand builders wire but
your ask seems a bit thin
  must it be plastic coated or would enameled suffice ?

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

Not sure, suppose enamelled would do. Would have to try it. Dont think
it will matter fo my uses.  Main thing is single wire, but twin lead.

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

Why single wire ?

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

** The stuff you are after is known as in the trade as  " bell wire ".

Seems to be readily available everywhere except in Australia.

Try a big hardware store or other place that sells door bells and
accessories.

.......  Phil

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

Commonly called Twin Twist Bell Wire, one red and one white wire, single
strand core.
Often used as the lead-in wire between the shot-firing box (exploder) and
electric detonators used in a blast if the lead-in wire is not too long.
Can be purchased from most wholesale electrical suppliers. Srr the following
link....

http://www.tyree.com.au/products/tycab.html

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

"APR"

**  Nope.

Bell wire is a flat, "figure 8" style cable.

Used to carry the low voltage AC supply for domestic door bells.

Normally just plain white to blend into the wall or skirting boards.

.......   Phil

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

I agree with Phil.  I used bell wire in the 70s when playing around with
door
bells etc.

Mitch.. (Don't know were to get it now though sorry )

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

Here is a link to Dyno Nobel in Australia where they give a very limited
description of what is commonly termed Twin Twist Bell Wire in the
explosives industry.
http://www.dynonobel.com/dynonobelcom/en/asiapacific/products/accessoires /

I have purchased this wire from various electrical wholesalers over the
years. Below is a pdf link for an Ausie supplier.
http://www.hartland.com.au/hartland/pdf/01-catalog.pdf

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

"APR"

**  Who gives a  FUCK  ??

The OP is after  " TWIN LEAD WIRE"  !!

He is not after  *blasting*  cable.

Wrong stuff,  wrong topic.

..........  Phil

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

I am sorry Phil, you are wrong. The blasting industry uses this product
because it is available and suits a purpose. Review the available literature
on this cable and you will see that it is quite possibly what he is after.

As I state in another post, this cable has nothing to do with doorbells but
a lot to do with the telephone industry in past years and the use of bells.

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

I note the original poster stated he had tried L&H. I have purchased this
cable from L&H also in the past. Their P/N for the product is PIR5414387. Go
to the hagemeyer web site and do a search on the P/N and it will pull it up.

Here is another link to this cable at the Prysmian (Pirelli) web site.
http://www.prysmian.com/en_42/cables_systems/telecom/product_solutions/communications_copper_cables.jhtml?s125%800007&s225%800011&s343%00004&s4=-1
Go right to the bottom of the page.
To be noted with this product from the various manufacturers that there is a
considerable difference in the tensile strength of the products for the same
wire diameter.

This wire is/was predominately used in the telephone industry and has
nothing to do with doorbells.

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

"APR"

**   Huh  ?????????????????

   Who mentioned explosives ????

**  " Bell wire"  is simply  NOT  the same thing.

       D  I C  K  H  E  A  D  !!!!

.......  Phil

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

Hi APR,
Phil is right, Phil is always right, Phil *must* be right, this is the Phil
way of things, welcome to Phil's world...
Cheers

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

that sounds like the stuff in CAT5 cables, but I'm guessing you want
figure-8 instead of twisted pair.

"doorbell wire" last time I saw that stuff in DSE it was way expensive.
tried Rexel?

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

If you were desperate enough you could strip open a CAT5 cable. They
have 4 seperate twisted pairs of 24AWG solid bare copper. Different
colours to boot.

Dave :)

Re: 24 or 26 guage twin lead wire

Two pair telephone cable might suffice , very very cheap as well.

Site Timeline