2000 movies on one DVD

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,25515541-5014239,00.html

SCIENTISTS have unveiled new DVD technology that stores data in five
dimensions, making it possible to pack more than 2000 movies onto a
single disc.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: 2000 movies on one DVD

Scratch it and there goes your *entire* collection! :->

Dave.

Re: 2000 movies on one DVD
On Thu, 21 May 2009 17:44:49 +1000, "David L. Jones"

Good point.

I wonder what sort of commercial content could be offered on such
discs? Even at $1 per movie, who would pay $2000 for a single DVD?
Would there be a lifetime, free replacement guarantee in the event
that the disc was damaged?

- Franc Zabkar

Re: 2000 movies on one DVD

**Think laterally, not vertically. It's not necessarily about the numbers of
titles. Think of this as the storage medium that will be required for
Ultra-high definition, 3D playback capability. A 3D game in high def would
require this kind of capacity. And, as I have stated ad nauseum, it is the
computer games industry that drives the technology. Hollywood is now a minor
player in such things.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: 2000 movies on one DVD

It puts a new light on piracy. More or less the entire output of the movie
industry for all time could be on sale, and copyable, in a small packet.

Re: 2000 movies on one DVD

  Or paves the way to the new SuperDuperExtraStupidHighDefinition movie format.
  Where this time, its encryption system will take a whole week to hack.

  Of the *entire* suite of films ever made on this planet over all time, I
suppose if you took all the films that were actually worthwhile watching, you
could fit them on one of these disks.

  What, you think that hollywood is alone in producing crap?  And anyone still
wonders why piracy is rampant?  It comes down to what the end user is willing
to pay for crap.

  Fancy features such as high definition and colour are merely passing fads
that become the norm - so don't count as far as "value" goes.  Not after the
initial honeymoon period anyway.

  That's my 2c, and I'm sticking to it.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622