2000 movies on one DVD

SCIENTISTS have unveiled new DVD technology that stores data in five dimensions, making it possible to pack more than 2000 movies onto a single disc.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Scratch it and there goes your *entire* collection! :->

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

It puts a new light on piracy. More or less the entire output of the movie industry for all time could be on sale, and copyable, in a small packet.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Or paves the way to the new SuperDuperExtraStupidHighDefinition movie format. Where this time, its encryption system will take a whole week to hack.

Of the *entire* suite of films ever made on this planet over all time, I suppose if you took all the films that were actually worthwhile watching, you could fit them on one of these disks.

What, you think that hollywood is alone in producing crap? And anyone still wonders why piracy is rampant? It comes down to what the end user is willing to pay for crap.

Fancy features such as high definition and colour are merely passing fads that become the norm - so don't count as far as "value" goes. Not after the initial honeymoon period anyway.

That's my 2c, and I'm sticking to it.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

On Thu, 21 May 2009 17:44:49 +1000, "David L. Jones" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Good point.

I wonder what sort of commercial content could be offered on such discs? Even at $1 per movie, who would pay $2000 for a single DVD? Would there be a lifetime, free replacement guarantee in the event that the disc was damaged?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

**Think laterally, not vertically. It's not necessarily about the numbers of titles. Think of this as the storage medium that will be required for Ultra-high definition, 3D playback capability. A 3D game in high def would require this kind of capacity. And, as I have stated ad nauseum, it is the computer games industry that drives the technology. Hollywood is now a minor player in such things.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Get your crap here: