2 or 3 prongs on power cords?

Here in the USA, about half of the power cords on household things have

3 prongs, and the others have 2 prongs.

I was looking for some New Zealand / Austrailian power cords for something I am building. Seems like 99% of the sites selling cords for that area have only 3 prongers. Is 3-prong the standard for NZ & Aus plugs? Do all electrical appliances there have an earthground?

Reply to
ralphy
** Dangerous groper alert !

** Wot - no single prong ?

** No.

** All the ones that need to be earthed for safety are.

The rest can have two pin plugs or 3 pin with no connection to the earth pin.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Try

For various power cords etc. You do realise we use 240 Volt at 50 Hz here? Not trying to be clever, but many Americans do not know this.

--
Regards

Kevin Martin
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Kevin Martin

Kevin - Thanks for the catalog page.

Yes, I do know about 240V/50Hz difference, but I appreciate your "just in case" reminder.

I was further thrown by finding an "Austrailian version" knock-off from a competitor that has a 3-prong plug. (The original USA version they copied is not grounded.) When I opened it up, the ground wire was cut off and went nowhere.

// Ralph

Kevin Martin wrote: You do realise we use 240 Volt at 50 Hz

Reply to
ralphy
.
** Here is another reminder - DO NOT TOP POST !!!

** It is common to see 3 pin plugs on items that have only two core AC leads here in Australia.

Firstly and unlike in the US, an Aussie AC supply plug has to be finger touch safe when partially installed in the outlet.

Secondly, AC supply plugs are more stable when all 3 pins are inserted - this is particularly true with plug packs ( or wall warts as you Yanks like to call them).

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

posslbly the manufacturer got a good deal on grounded power leads, or was over stocked.

I've also seen three pin-plugs on two-counductor leads (Makita does this)

It helps keep the plug and the extension lead together.

--
Bye.
   Jasen
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jasen

like

Which is true, but funny considering how many plug packs have only 2 pins. (lots of mine are) With a large amount of mains equipment using IEC leads though, you don't see many with 2 pin plugs, even if the ground is not connected. There are exceptions in both cases of course.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

The danger is when non-double-insulated appliances get used with a

2-conductor power lead on the strength of there being 3 pins.

Not that 'double-insulated' means much any more anyway ....

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

"Geoff"

** How can this happen ?

The leads are made to be physically incompatible.

** As you have the slightest clue about the topic.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Are we not talking about the power PLUG end here. And a 3-pin moulded plug with a 2 conductor cable, and a standard IEC 3-hole female socket on the equipment end . You've never seem one ?

I do , actually. I have the misfortune to ork on such gear every day. You find unearthed equipment with bare conductive components at mains potential centimetres away from a relatively flimsy metal chassis satisfactory ? That's what most consumer gear is like these days.

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

"Geoff"

** Such leads are NOT on sale anywhere.

All IEC leads are " prescribed items " and must be type approved.

You are an ASS.

** If you have a point to make about Class 2 safety, then make it.

Cleary you DON'T .

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

So you've seen everywhere.

Should be.

And you are an ARSE.

Dont call me cleary.

If you don't find the above to be a point, then that's your problem. My understanding of Class 2 safety of devices is that there should be two insulating layers on all parts of the circuit at mains potential and external metalic parts, and between HV and LV sides of a cct. The devices I describe fail that miserably, and probably only exist through creative interpretation of the wording of whatever legislation.

Go sit on a DVD player....

geoff .

Reply to
Geoff