1kW Grid Interactive Solar PV up and running - Page 4

Re: 1kW Grid Interactive Solar PV up and running

In this case the village is "company title" which means a "corporation"
technically owns the land and dwellings, of which all the resisdents are
equal shareholders of the corporation. Each resident gets one share and
effectively owns one dwelling.
Who knows how that would work in this case, I'm sure lawyers would salivate
at the thought of it.

Dave.

Re: 1kW Grid Interactive Solar PV up and running
On Mon, 11 May 2009 16:43:51 +1000, "David L. Jones"

Theres a number of other strange conditions which people may not be
aware of.
One is that there is a maximum time limit for the entire system to be
installed and commisioned, and this time limit is shown on the letter
the applicant receives from the program manager of the rebate program.
If the system isnt installed and commisioned within the time frame
the rebate lapses.
What happens if thru no fault of the applicant or the installer the
system isnt commisioned in this time frame, for example if the local
power company is very slow in approving and making the final
connection which required the new meter to be installed.
Where I live , this time is currently 3 months.
Another strange condition is that the Program Manager of the
rebate program can demand in the first 5 years to see reports
of the operation of the system.
This would imply that the owner will have to keep records
of how well the system works.
Whats the case if a home owner who has a mortgage instalsl a solar
system and later thru mortgage default loses the house.
Who owns the solar system?

Re: 1kW Grid Interactive Solar PV up and running

Turns out almost everyone at the village is going to sign up. My mum didn't
want to feel left out, so I had no choice but to now reassure her signing up
is not a bad idea, considering they have not been asked to pay anything at
all.

Apparently the company told everyone they would never get another electricy
bill. But based on my mums 8kWh daily average (not unreasonable), I told her
to still expect a (much smaller) bill.

If everything goes smoothly and as claimed, then they all get a 1KW solar
system installed for free.
With nearly 150 units in the village, this will be a big installation.

I'll keep the group updated on progress.

Dave.

Re: 1kW Grid Interactive Solar PV up and running

< .. >

One of the previously more expensive vendors seems to have cut their
price, i.e:
http://www.energymatters.com.au/specials/solar-rebate-maximiser.php

Time to sign up with someone, I suppose..

Regards,

Ross..

Re: 1kW Grid Interactive Solar PV up and running

I'd sign up in a second if I could get a 1KW system for $2500.
I hope the new "no means test" rebate after June still allows for prices
like these.
Shows the power of bulk "community" buying though. Individuals pay $2500+,
my mums community gets the same thing for free.

Dave.

Re: 1kW Grid Interactive Solar PV up and running

In my understanding, the new scheme will be based on RECs (Renewable
Energy Certificates). A REC currently is worth about $46. In the new
system it will be worth 5x, i.e $230.

A 1kW system currently gets 21 RECs, or around $1000. Under the new
scheme those RECs will be worth $4830, so that is the "rebate". A 1kW
system will therefore be less subsidised.

However, a higher output system such as 2kW will be worth about $9660 in
rebates, so the subsidy is greater than the previous $8000. The greater
amount of RECs, the greater the subsidy.

Interestingly the means testing was introduced by the Labor party in
2008, and did not exist previously, but I suppose the price of PV
systems was a bit higher at the time..

Quite a few vendors have been offering "$0" systems such as Nu Energy,
State Solar Services, Beyond Building Energy. Some ask for a
(refundable) deposit, others do not. A fairly lively whirlpool thread
has formed over this here:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1187344.html

The difficulty for those that qualify is in deciding between paying a
reasonably "small" $2500 or paying "$0", at the risk that the "$0"
company might be somehow "less reliable" or not deliver. Then amongst
the "$0" companies, there are those that ask for a (refundable) deposit
of around $2000, and those that don't. The question then arises as to
what happens to a deposit, if a company goes under.

Some people suggest to cover this risk with a credit card, but I spoke
to my bank, and the chargeback period for a credit card is 90 days,
although they will consider chargebacks after this period at their
discretion. With 6-8 weeks for pre-approval, none of these companies can
install in less than 90 days.

Regards,

Ross..

Re: 1kW Grid Interactive Solar PV up and running

Systems are getting cheaper very quickly, almost monthly it seems, so
hopefully by the time the new REC scheme comes around the "loss" in the
rebate may have been made up for in what the system installers can offer
price-wise. I'll still happily pay a few thousand for a system, but over
that it's not quite such a no-brainer.
Time will tell...

Dave.

Re: 1kW Grid Interactive Solar PV up and running
[snip]
[snip]

Just came across a letter to the editor in our local paper regarding this
subject. Someone signed up for $8500, after the rebate....

(You can see a copy here: http://scarborofun.com/ripoff.html )

IIRC one can actually get out of such a contract, within a cooling off period.
Hope they know about this.

Tony

Re: 1kW Grid Interactive Solar PV up and running

$8500 AFTER the rebate? Someone has no idea what they heck they are
doing, to do that without even gauging the average price for a system
from more than one installer.

Regards,

Ross..

Re: 1kW Grid Interactive Solar PV up and running

Geeze, they didn't even name the company!
Only an idiot signs up on the spot for something like that without getting
further quotes, the salesman saw them coming.

The good thing is they don't have to pay a cent, the ball and risk is
squarely in the installers court, if they don't come through their creditors
will eat them alive.

Dave.
Re: 1kW Grid Interactive Solar PV up and running

Are you telling me that none of these old codgers was smart enough to get
that statement in writing?

Site Timeline