$1b electric car infrastructure deal - Page 4

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

Correct, you need to learn Australian History a bit bettter.

Oh, they still have deliveries in your neck of the woods?

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

You are forgetting all the other sources that fund roads.

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

Could you list that "revenue"
Motor vehicle rego barely covers the cost f the rego dept.
Considerinfg that out major highways cosy $1B+/km now, then add allthe
major roads, minor roads, and back streets that are subsidised by state
fess and local government rates.

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

   www.fieldstoneenergy.com   River, ocean, tidal barrage
applications. Our systems can also produce nearly 1 million gallons of
purified water with a single system.

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

Not when combined with the generator losses, battery losses, and
distribution losses they cant!
Sure a little bit higher, but certainly not double!

MrT.

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 22:50:48 +0100, Eeyore

Some clarification is needed on David's claim. It should state "90%
renewable electrical energy."
                     ^^^^^^^^
<http://www.mercury.co.nz/News/news_story.aspx?id85%5

I'll leave it to your self proclaimed research abilities to find out
what the present percentage is.

snip

--
Regards
Malcolm

If there's lots of hydro and there's room for more I could see that happen.
Bloody short timescale though.

Graham

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 02:29:31 +0100, Eeyore

Provided that it keeps raining and in the right places.
Hydro power is great if the dams are always full and the water is
free.
Some countries like Norway can make most of their power from Hydro
but most cant as the geography isnt suitable.
Goals are great provided that some elaboration on how the goal is to
be achieved are also provided.
Bland statements like "our target is to achieve 90% renewable power by
some date arnt worth the paper they are written on unless its also
explained how this is to be achieved."

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

happen.

In New Zealand they can (and do) at least generate electricity direct from
thermal energy, being located on an active fault line.
And hydro is a far better chance there as well, with so much rain and so
little population.
Not much chance for Australia to increase ours significantly though.

MrT.

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

Yes, I was of course talking about electrical energy.
NZ are currently around 70%, so it won't be hard for them.
Google groups seems very slow at posting today, I've already posted
extra links.

Dave.

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

Really?
They are already at around 70% renewable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_energy_in_New_Zealand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:NZelectricity2008.png

So 90% by 2025 isn't exactly stretching the imagination.

Dave.

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

You mean JUST the electricity presumably ?

Graham

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

Of course. Look at the link titles, and the thread title, we are only
talking about electricity here.

Dave.

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

come
not

That was NOT the claim made.

"The goal for NZ is to be using 90% renewable energy by 2025." Where does it say
'electricity' ?

Graham

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal
come
but not
say

Geeze, I'll be sure to be more exact in my wording next time, just you
you Graham.

Surprised that NZ uses such a high proportion of renewable *electrial*
energy? Amazing isn't it?

Dave.

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

say

You should be. I take a lot of care over this matter.

Not amazing when you have the right geography like Norway too.

Graham

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

I was taking the piss, it's what we do here in Oz.
If you are serious, you should get out more, or at least learn how not to
take everything literally without thought.

Dave.

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

Not a very convincing excuse !

Graham

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

Which pre-supposes cars are only used in cities for short trips. Mine isn't,
and outperforms a Toyota Prius for highway use.

Yep, and IF they would only start chrging CTP per *driver* instead of per
vehicle, it might become economic to have an electric city car, *and* a
diesel highway car.

developing
engines.
with

Actually a 2 litre turbo diesel has similar torque characteristics, and uses
less fuel at a constant 100kph.
So where are the turbo diesel hybrids I wonder? Or how about the VW 1.4 twin
charged engine, plus electric motors. That would surely be interesting!

MrT.

Re: $1b electric car infrastructure deal

Opel are making one. They estimate average emissions of 40g CO2 / km overall
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/09/10/meet-the-euro-volt-opel-flextreme-concept-has-ultra-low-emissio /

Estimated time to market, 4 years.

Graham

Site Timeline