16F877 Development board suggestions ?

Any one suggest a good 16F877A devel board ?

I see futurelec have a nice one .

Cheers

Andrew

Re: 16F877 Development board suggestions ?

 > I see futurelec have a nice one .

I've yet to see anyone say anything good about Futurlec. The place
doesn't even have an ARBN, which is a warning sign.

--
Chris

Re: 16F877 Development board suggestions ?

What's an ARBN for a Thai outfit?

Re: 16F877 Development board suggestions ?

Futurlec are cheap, but take far too long to ship in my experience. I
recommend Soanar: https://www.soanarplus.com/default.jsp?xcid=1

Cheers,

Al

Re: 16F877 Development board suggestions ?

Last I checked sonar did not do microchip, but that was a few years
ago :)

My suggestion would be to visit www.microchip.com and buy a devel kit
from them. That way you get all the app notes to fit.

Re: 16F877 Development board suggestions ?

Oops, you're right - they don't sell PIC dev boards. I must have AVRs
on the brain :)

Soanar are still great for general components, but only sell a handful
of PICs (the prices are quite reasonable - $8.30 for an '877, compared
to $13 at Jaycar) Still I would avoid Futurlec unless you don't mind
waiting ages.

Have you considered Olimex? http://www.olimex.com/dev/pic-mt-usb.html
costs about 45 bucks Australian, and you get a backlit LCD with a USB
connection.

Cheers,

Al

Re: 16F877 Development board suggestions ?

or in Australia:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid16%531

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: 16F877 Development board suggestions ?

Have been looking at that one myself.  Note it only comes with the slower ($MHz
IIRC) processor, but they stock the 20 and *might* be persuaded to swap
processors at a price difference.

Re: 16F877 Development board suggestions ?

More a proto than a development board, but may suit depending on your needs.

Serial:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid16%527
USB:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid16%528

or bare boards at throw out prices, DT106 SimmStick:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid16%342
http://www.dontronics.com/dt106.html

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: 16F877 Development board suggestions ?

What features are you after ?

Also as the 16f877 and 16f877a are pin compatable

For nice boards I like the ethernet / wireless boards from
http://www.edtp.com /
but you'll need an icd of some sort for programming.

The futurlec board is quite good.
Just the orders can take a while sometimes(month or two).

The programming software can be annoying to get working on some computers.
Works fine on some and not on others.

They are good if you are not in a hurry.
I use a few of their arm and avr stamp boards.

Futurlec has some quite good boards but the software to go with them
means they are not the best for beginners.
Helps to have an alternative method of programming the micro in case you get
stuck with the supplied software.

With pics , I have a microchip icd2 and for dip chips a k150 with zif,
for avr's an atmel isp2 programmer + stk500.

The olimex boards are similar but depending on where you order from , you
can get them in a few days.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid16%531&cat35%6&page=1
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid16%527&cat35%5&page=1
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid16%528&cat35%5&page=1

Whatever board you get , make sure to get the correct programmer /
programming cable for it.

A good way to speed up your learning is to
get the dip version of the chips and a programmer like
the k150 from kitsrus  and build your circuits on a bread board.
Get a programmer with a zif socket.

You would be surprised how much faster you learn (and more careful you
become)
when you have to hook everything up yourself
(and draw the schematic  and hook up diagram).

Its easy to see which students have learned via bread boarding and those
that have
never done any when running a lab tutorial class at uni.
See some really amusing and weird things.

Alex

Site Timeline