1602 Display

From another listing, I bought something like this:

I'm having no trouble driving it from a PIC24F, but I'm surprised at the behaviour of the display when then symbols alter. It's as if the liquid crystal is taking a large part of a second to change state.

Any thoughts?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I've seen them slow down when they get cold, but it would have to be uncomfortably cold for you.

Reply to
John S

How is the bias voltage generated? (what some call `contrast', but really isn't)

Reply to
Johann Klammer

I think it must be VO, as described here

I've done what they indicate there, and used a trim-pot to set the voltage. Set it too far in one direction, and the background lights up. Too far in the other direction, and the characters disappear.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I've found that adjustment to be very touchy. I assume you have a well-regulated supply and are not using batteries.

Reply to
BuckyBalls

Yes, that's the way it should work. Can you see a difference in the display speed if the contrast is adjusted to different levels?

Reply to
John S

Perhaps - if so, it's not enough for me to be sure, and there certainly isn't a point where the response seems reasonable.

It's good enough to work in this particular application, since it's for me. I wouldn't want to hand something like this to a paying customer.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Yes - it's fed from a linear regulator, and the display is the only load (the PIC is fed from a separate regulator as it needs a lower voltage).

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

? 2015?7?23???? UTC