15kw motor as generator?

I friend of mine came across a couple of nice looking 15kw 3 phase electric
motors. He's also got a small turbo 3 cylinder diesel engine. If we join the
2 up will electricity come out the electric motor? If not is there some way
to get it so it will?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Re: 15kw motor as generator?

Most unlikley.
Modern 3 phase motors are induction motors which means they have a
solid rotor , which turns in the rotational field caused by the 3
phase current on the stator windings.
They wont work in reverse as there is no magnetic field present in the
rotor.
No easy way to convert either, unless you can find a permenant magnet
rotor which will fit in place of the solid rotor.

Re: 15kw motor as generator?

"Mauried"
 "Michael C"

** Like " pissing through a keyhole " -   it can be done -  but why bother
??

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_experiments_motor_convert.html

......  Phil

Re: 15kw motor as generator?

Assuming them to be squirrel cage induction motors, Google on Induction
Generator. If you plan to run them autonomously, using capacitors, that's a
fairly chancy setup, stabilising the output voltage is difficult. If you're
supplementing an existing, reasonably stiff grid, then it's a lot easier.
The machine just excites off the grid and feeds power back in when it's run
above the synchronous speed.

I assume that you're thinking of 3-phase generation??  If single phase, then
there are other issues.

Re: 15kw motor as generator?

I think I'm over the idea :-) It sounds like a bit too much trouble. Better
to sell the motors and buy a generator.

Michael

Site Timeline