15kw motor as generator?

I friend of mine came across a couple of nice looking 15kw 3 phase electric motors. He's also got a small turbo 3 cylinder diesel engine. If we join the

2 up will electricity come out the electric motor? If not is there some way to get it so it will?

Thanks in advance, Michael

Reply to
Michael C

Most unlikley. Modern 3 phase motors are induction motors which means they have a solid rotor , which turns in the rotational field caused by the 3 phase current on the stator windings. They wont work in reverse as there is no magnetic field present in the rotor. No easy way to convert either, unless you can find a permenant magnet rotor which will fit in place of the solid rotor.

Reply to
Mauried

"Mauried" "Michael C"

** Like " pissing through a keyhole " - it can be done - but why bother ??

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Assuming them to be squirrel cage induction motors, Google on Induction Generator. If you plan to run them autonomously, using capacitors, that's a fairly chancy setup, stabilising the output voltage is difficult. If you're supplementing an existing, reasonably stiff grid, then it's a lot easier. The machine just excites off the grid and feeds power back in when it's run above the synchronous speed.

I assume that you're thinking of 3-phase generation?? If single phase, then there are other issues.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

I think I'm over the idea :-) It sounds like a bit too much trouble. Better to sell the motors and buy a generator.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C