15amp 240v camping site mains supply

Was looking for a group aus.rec.camping or similar but there isn't one,
as  this post pertains specifically to a powered camping site.
I have a Clipsal Lifesaver portable power outlet with overload and RCD.
It is a 15amp with the special type 3pin plug and a 1.5metre lead.
My question is:
Can I connect a 15amp caravan extension lead FROM the mains power
site TO the power outlet box?
If not, would it be possible for an electrican to change the 1.5metre
lead to a 22metre one?
--
thanks
BrianM

Re: 15amp 240v camping site mains supply

You could do that, dont forget to check how much current you plan to draw
since 22m is not insignificant at high levels of current. Naturally the
extension lead socket and the power box  will need protection against the
elements.
On that point might there not be more protection in the supply box onsite
for your power board ? (and run the lead from there)
--

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Where theres a will, I want to be in it.

--

Re: 15amp 240v camping site mains supply

 You could do that, dont forget to check how much current you plan to

 Drawn current would be minimal - lights and a small TV. The socket and
 box would be inside an awning, well protected from rain.

Sorry, I was meaning the onsite 240v supply box and running the lead
from there as you say.  Just not sure whether it was safe to connect an
extension to the "inlet" part of the safety box.

--
cheers
BrianM

Re: 15amp 240v camping site mains supply

You are kidding, right?  Reading the guys post carefully he wants to connect
a lead from the (female) power box supplying 240v to a power outlet box!  If
this is what he is really contemplating then the lead would have male plugs
on either end!

NOT a GOOD THING TO DO

David

Re: 15amp 240v camping site mains supply

one,
question
site
connect
If
plugs

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick there - I don't think he's
proposing any thing of the sort - he just wants to know if it's OK to put an
extension cord before his RCD-equipped power board.

Re: 15amp 240v camping site mains supply

Correct.

--
cheers
BrianM

Re: 15amp 240v camping site mains supply

Don't see why not. I assume you want to do this so you have the RCD closer
to you if it trips out.

Possible, yes, however it would void the warranty on the Lifesaver.

Why not put the RCD near the mains power?
Reason for this is it will then protect your extension lead as well as your
van in the unlikely event someone was to cut the lead.
Cheers.

Re: 15amp 240v camping site mains supply

    correct. Also keeps the RCD under cover and can connect a device
    directly into either of the two outlet plugs. This is my preferred
    option.

  Problem with that is the RCD box would have to be inside a
  waterproof cover (not unsurmountable), I thought of hanging it from a
  spike driven into the ground, and hooded with a waterproof cover.
  What type of extension   lead would be necessary?, i.e.  a 10amp or
  15amp?          The 15amp caravan
  extension leads have a different sized earth pin on the plug.
  The object of this exercise is a portable (and safe) 240v mains supply.

 --
cheers
BrianM

Re: 15amp 240v camping site mains supply

What am I missing?
You will have the rcd under the awning or whatever, the caravan will be
powered through the RCD (like caravan 15amp inlet receptacle). Where is the
problem?

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Where theres a will, I want to be in it.

Re: 15amp 240v camping site mains supply

Ahhh my omission - it's not for a caravan - it's for a camper-trailer which
doesn't (as yet) have a built-in 240v power box.  I think the principle
is the same as for a caravan except the van's RCD is built in. The cable
from the power source to the van is only protected by a fuse, whereas
everything out of the RCD box is well protected from faulty equipment and
overloads.
Thanks for your help - think I've got it sorted out.
(I'll add you to my will)
--
cheers
BrianM

Re: 15amp 240v camping site mains supply

OK  I assumed when you said it  was a 15A lifesaver that it is a model No:
485P2CB15/30 Which is all 15Amp both the inlet plug and the outlets
ie: larger earth pin.
This being the case you would use a 15Amp heavy duty type lead which has the
larger earth pin both ends.
Sorry I didn't think about having the extra outlet near the van for using
another item.
Cheers,

Re: 15amp 240v camping site mains supply

Yes it is the 485 model you mention.  Think I've got it sorted out -
please see my other reply to Rheilly P.
Thanks to you both, and my apologies for not making it clear what
I was trying to achieve.

--
BrianM

Site Timeline