12V toaster

I had this silly idea to rewire a toaster to run on 12V. If I make the wire runs inside 20 times shorter then it should work but obviously I can't solder so how would I make joins? I was thinking of running the +ve at one end of the toaster and the negative at the other and just joining the heating wire between them (should be about the right length). Or can I just get different resistance heating wire?

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael C

The first thing you'd better do is find out a bit about how electricity works. if you use the same heating wire, 20 times shorter, you'll be waiting a long time for your toast.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

I suggest you get a clue and read my post again. I don't quite get what you don't understand. Do you think I'm suggesting having a single wire 20 times shorter? Or are you thinking the toaster is already designed for 12V? What I am suggesting is that I could rewire the toaster so that each run of heating wire is 20 times shorter (240/12 = 20) but obviously there would be more runs of wire.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 14:43:45 +1100, "Michael C" put finger to keyboard and composed:

My toaster is rated at 750W, 240V. That's a current draw of about 3A. A 12V 750W toaster would draw about 60 amps.

Assuming you can provide a cable with conductors of sufficient cross-section (eg a car battery cable), then you would need to chop up the heating element into 20 equal lengths and wire them in parallel.

All joins would need to be crimps, otherwise the heat would probably melt the solder.

Of course this was just a mental exercise, wasn't it? ;-)

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Yep, will need some pretty reasonable wiring, I guess the cigarette lighter socket is out of the question :-) The plus side is that a toaster usually runs for only 2 minutes so the 80Ah battery I have should cope ok.

Cool.

That's probably going to be the hard part, or at least the part I haven't worked out as yet.

Actually I'm fairly heavily invested in this project already, to the tune of $9.95. :-)

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

You said it, it is indeed quite a silly idea.

Get a light weight gas stove and toaster adapter and spend your efforts on a more worthwhile project.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

the OP is lucky phil has not started on him

Reply to
F Murtz

"F Murtz"

** Fat chance of that ...

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil will claim he had the idea, first.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Very true , if you did it would require a clue and you don't Still smoking other blokes bit philthy ?

Reply to
atec77

you could always buy one

Mark Harriss

A quote from Toasters'r'us?

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

That's true but that's kind of the point. When we go away everyone's keen to show off their gadgets. I doubt anyone is going to have a 65 amp toaster.

Yeah, that's just not the same as a popup toaster. :-)

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

I saw those but they look like they run off a cigarette lighter and only do one piece of toast. They don't really show much description on their site.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

Much more romantic to light a small fire and use a long fork, that way the money saved could go for high school physics lessons or to add to your homes fire insurance ;-)

cheers

--
Regards
Mike

re

st

Take a look at the original toaster and see how they make the joins. As I vaguely remember, they were just done with a bolt on the back of the AC inlet socket Some type of compression fitting (high temperature) will no doubt be needed. Spot welding of some type MAY also be possible depending on the wire (s) used.

You will also need very thick wire back to the power source, and the bars taking the power to the resistance wire will need to be solid too.

The best way to do what you want is to buy an inverter, or maybe a UPS (if cheaper) and modify to connect to the car battery. The time it takes do do a couple of pieces of toast shouldn't be a problem for a car battery in good order, and no trouble if you leave the engine running.

(I assume you will be using this "on the road", otherwise you would use bottled gas or a generator if in a residence/camping/shack etc ?

Another advantage of inversion is that you can run other mains appliances while "on the road"

Reply to
kreed

Thats what you wrote.

--
"Some days we don\'t let the line move at all. We call those weekdays"
Patty and Selma Bouvier, 1996

I don't doubt that for a second, Phallis.

--
"Some days we don\'t let the line move at all. We call those weekdays"
Patty and Selma Bouvier, 1996
Reply to
=?iso-8859-1?b?SmXfdXM=?=

Um, no I didn't (notice the plural when I said runs). I've gotta admit it's a bit vague what I wrote but I was assuming the reader wasn't silly.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

I hope he shoots video of the thermostat exploding at that current.