12v backup power supply

hi all, lately around where i am the power has been going out for long periods (its the local power company) anyway i was thinking of having some sort of 12v backup supply to drive some things on 12v when power is out any ideas on the best logical way, i did think solar panel some how to car battery but not sure

any ideas

matt

Reply to
Matt H

any

Think deep cycle battery like those found in a boat. You might find that a natural gas powered generator is better than solar panel. It's certainly smaller.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Cheap UPS to cheap battery charger. depends on your final requirements.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller.
Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16460
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Just purchase a suitably sized ups and add a huge battery

Reply to
atec77#

stacks, but figures please? Otherwise we are just guessing.

Solar + regulator + deep-discharge battery(ies) + inverter and you will not have much change out of $3K. Assuming you are serious.

Reply to
Terryc

"Matt H"

** Get a camper's size petrol generator - d*****ad.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Some of the cheep UPS have one side of the battery at mains potential !. that is why they are sealed inside the case. Check to see if this is so.

I added a large battery on to a ups so i could un plug and use the computor during thunder storms, great idea untill i conected some gear directly to the 12 volt external battery and BANG. Lucky it was earthed, big sparks and the mains fuse popped.

Reply to
vk3ase

As suggested by others, I think the 2nd hand UPS idea is the way to go for a more permanent back-up supply.

Here's one way to do it;

Ross Herbert