12v backup power supply

hi all,
        lately around where i am the power has been going out for long
periods (its the local power company) anyway i was thinking of having some
sort of 12v backup supply to drive some things on 12v when power is out any
ideas on the best logical way, i did think solar panel some how to car
battery but not sure

any ideas

matt

Re: 12v backup power supply

any

Think deep cycle battery like those found in a boat.  You might find that a
natural
gas powered generator is better than solar panel.  It's certainly smaller.

Re: 12v backup power supply

Cheap UPS to cheap battery charger.
depends on your final requirements.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: 12v backup power supply

Just purchase a suitably sized ups and add a huge battery

Re: 12v backup power supply

Some of the cheep UPS have one side of the battery
at mains potential !. that is why they are sealed inside the
case. Check to see if this is so.

I added a large battery on to a ups so i could un plug and use the computor
during thunder storms, great idea untill
i conected some gear directly to the 12 volt external battery and BANG.
Lucky it was earthed, big sparks and
the mains fuse popped.

Re: 12v backup power supply

stacks, but figures please?
Otherwise we are just guessing.

Solar + regulator + deep-discharge battery(ies) + inverter and you will
not have much change out of $3K. Assuming you are serious.

Re: 12v backup power supply

"Matt H"

**  Get a camper's size petrol generator   -   dickhead.

.......   Phil

Re: 12v backup power supply

As suggested by others, I think the 2nd hand UPS idea is the way to go
for a more permanent back-up supply.

Here's one way to do it;
http://www.sustainability.ofm.uwa.edu.au/welcome/urban_sustainability/ups_low_cost_independent_power_supply

Site Timeline