12c?

Introducing myself to microprocessors and looking at Microchip's Pic series.
Absolute beginner. Keep seeing references to 12c. What is 12c? Can anyone
help .I've googled for an explanation, can't find one. TIA.

Re: 12c?

Hi Steve
    It's actually I2C (I squared C) which is one way of allowing a
microcontroller to communicate with peripheral chips. Have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%C2%B2C for a start.
    Good luck with the PICs. There are other micros around, but most
people think that PICs are all there is. :(

Re: 12c?

No worries Steve,
     Motorola's semiconductor division which is related to
microprocessors now has the strange name of "Freescale", and yes they're
bigger than Microchip. :) Serious industrial designers for engine
management systems etc go for those.
     As long as you're not writing assembly code for PICs, they're no
harder to drive than any other, so I'm told.
     Good luck with getting into using them.

Re: 12c?

The PIC's are not microprocessors, they are microcontrollers, there is
a difference.

"12c" is probably the "I2C" bus as Bob has pointed out. You don't need
to know about that when starting out.

Dave.

Re: 12c?

If you the absolute easiest way to start out then try the PICAXE
chips:
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe /

They are pre-programmed PIC chips that can be programmed in a BASIC
like language or even with flowcharts, so no need for any code.

Dave.

Re: 12c?

Thanks, Dave, very interesting. Studying the leterature now.

Site Timeline