120volt to 240volt

Help! Can someone please advise on stepdown transformer requirements.
US 120volt 11.8Amp electric pump motor to run on 240 volt.
Thanks Johnc

Re: 120volt to 240volt

cheaper to replace the motor .

Re: 120volt to 240volt

I think you would need a 1500 Watt transformer. (120 V x 11,8 Amp14%16
Watt).

Peter

Re: 120volt to 240volt

Since this is considerable motor it will need a good deal more capacity
to cope with the starting current than 1500 watts.
I do not know enough to calculate it but the first suggestion to replace
the motor  would be best. Otherwise asking the question on
alt.engineering.electrical will get more knowledgeable answers.
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

Re: 120volt to 240volt

yes wes components
www.wescomponents.com

ph 02-97979866
heat transfer comp dries like hard rubber
part code TSE3843W prise $38.50

Re: 120volt to 240volt

Just a note.. US power is delivered at 60Hz (110V), where many other
countries that use 220V is delivered at 50Hz. You may need additional
circuitry to convert the frequency, otherwise you motor may burn up
because it's not wound for the appropriate frequency.

Re: 120volt to 240volt

Try 60Hz at 120VAC...hasn't been 110 since the late 60's :-)

Re: 120volt to 240volt

And likewise UK AUS & NZ  and others were 240 volts and Europe was 220
but all are now planned to to be  230volts 50hz
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

Re: 120volt to 240volt

They just call it 230V +/- 5%, it's still 240 or 220 in many places.

Bye.
   Jasen

Site Timeline