100kHz crystal

Hi all, Anyone know what ever happened to the 100kHz crystal as used for generating spot marker frequencies on old time HF receivers? I visited the website of Hy-Q Australia and they don't go that low. There are quite a few on Ebay, all pulled from old equipment. I would like a new one though. Are they still obtainable from anywhere?

Any other ideas about generating 100kHz markers? Perhaps a 1mHz crystal divided by 10 using digital divider IC?

Peter Howard.

Current residents of my crap filter: soundhaspriority Robert Morein George Middius Phil Allison

Reply to
Peter Howard

Low frequencies like that mean physically large crystals, or very special cuts, like the 32KHz watch crystals. With digital dividers so cheap, its much easier to use eg 4 or 8 MHz crystals, and divide them down to get whatever frequency you want.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Design Engineer         J & K Micro Systems
Microcomputer solutions for industrial control
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

"Peter Howard" wrote

Any other ideas about generating 100kHz markers? Perhaps a 1mHz crystal divided by 10 using digital divider IC?

Peter Howard.

Current residents of my crap filter: soundhaspriority Robert Morein George Middius Phil Allison

****** Er,I don't think you will be dividing a 1mHz crystal down to 100 kHz,in fact I think you will never see a 1 mHz crystal in your entire lifetime.

Current residents of my crap filter: Anyone who writes to technical newsgroups and who really don't have a clue.

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith.

clue.

What? The only entry in your "crap filter" is yourself ?

Reply to
Poxy

Try

1Mhz crystal top of the list. Hy-Q can also supply one.

I do have a 2mHz crystal. Today I breadboarded it with a 4001 as oscillator and a 4017 decade counter similar to this idea here:

Result was 200kHz out at about 2V. I think I'm on the right track.

I think you are mistaken in both of your assertions above. However, as you appear to be a singularly ill-natured personality no further discussion is sought. Life is too short.

Cordially yours, Peter Howard.

Current residents of my crap filter: soundhaspriority Robert Morein George Middius Phil Allison Brian Goldsmith

Reply to
Peter Howard

He's one of the resident pedants, who is obviously inflamed by your use of *m* instead of *M*. I'm sure - with the exception of those in your list above - everyone reading your post knew what you wanted without making a big hoo-ha.

Reply to
rebel

***** There is no such thing as a 2mHz crystal.Why do you persist in perpetuating your error,have a look at the description given by Maplin above.

Today I breadboarded it with a 4001 as oscillator and a 4017 decade counter similar to this idea here:

Result was 200kHz out at about 2V. I think I'm on the right track.

****** Are you really that dense?You breadboarded an oscillator divider using a 2MHz crystal not a 2mHz crystal.

You really haven't got a clue,have you?

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith.

"Poxy" wrote

clue.

What? The only entry in your "crap filter" is yourself ?

***If I didn't crap Poxy,you would starve!

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith.

Well, thank you for clearing that up, rebel. The jerk in question only had to point out my error in plain English instead of making an ass of himself. He earned a one way ticket to join his boyfriend Phil on Crap Filter Island. As I said, life is too short. I prefer actually making stuff to playing the straight man in other people's Usenet psychodramas.

Thanks again, Peter Howard.

Reply to
Peter Howard

Agreed.

Reply to
Bob Parker

Just a small point, the 200kHz waveform most probably wouldn't be 2V, it would be whatever voltage you are using in your circuit (5V?) but the multimeter would average it to 2V? I do a bit of experimenting with PICs and at 5V supply that is exactly what happens when you try to measure the oscillator voltages with a multimeter, I get a bit above 2V reading both oscillator pins. It stands to reason but I am not sure why it is not 2.5V, either the duty cycle of the waveform is not 50% or multimeter summing is non-linear.

Eugene.

Reply to
ER

Thanks for the input. I took a quick look with an oscilloscope just to assure myself that the thing WAS working and it looked to be around 2V without straining my eyes counting divisions on a 50mm screen. Anyway, a goodly amount of output. I'll get more scientific when I get the crystal I want and tidy up my breadboard. Believe me, if I had enough years left in my life I'd learn to do it with PICs and to heck with those thirty year old

4000 series ICs.

Regards, Peter Howard.

Reply to
Peter Howard