100kHz crystal

Hi all,
Anyone know what ever happened to the 100kHz crystal as used for generating
spot marker frequencies on old time HF receivers?
I visited the website of Hy-Q Australia and they don't go that low.
There are quite a few on Ebay, all pulled from old equipment. I would like a
new one though. Are they still obtainable from anywhere?

Any other ideas about generating 100kHz markers? Perhaps a 1mHz crystal
divided by 10 using digital divider IC?

Peter Howard.

Current residents of my crap filter:
soundhaspriority
Robert Morein
George Middius
Phil Allison

Re: 100kHz crystal

Low frequencies like that mean physically large crystals, or very
special cuts, like the 32KHz watch crystals.  With digital dividers so
cheap, its much easier to use eg 4 or 8 MHz crystals, and divide them
down to get whatever frequency you want.

Re: 100kHz crystal

"Peter Howard" wrote

Any other ideas about generating 100kHz markers? Perhaps a 1mHz crystal
divided by 10 using digital divider IC?

Peter Howard.

Current residents of my crap filter:
soundhaspriority
Robert Morein
George Middius
Phil Allison

****** Er,I don't think you will be dividing a 1mHz crystal down to 100
kHz,in fact I think you will never see a 1 mHz crystal in your entire
lifetime.

Current residents of my crap filter:
Anyone who writes to technical newsgroups and who really don't have a clue.

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: 100kHz crystal

clue.

What? The only entry in your "crap filter" is yourself ?

Re: 100kHz crystal

clue.

What? The only entry in your "crap filter" is yourself ?

***If I didn't crap Poxy,you would starve!

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: 100kHz crystal

Try
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo47%8&TabID=1&C=SEO&U=strat15&doy=search
1Mhz crystal top of the list. Hy-Q can also supply one.

I do have a 2mHz crystal. Today I breadboarded it with a 4001 as oscillator
and a 4017 decade counter similar to this idea here:
http://myweb.cableone.net/adamsmed2/id6.htm
Result was 200kHz out at about 2V. I think I'm on the right track.

I think you are mistaken in both of your assertions above. However, as you
appear to be a singularly ill-natured personality no further discussion is
sought. Life is too short.

Cordially yours,
Peter Howard.

Current residents of my crap filter:
soundhaspriority
Robert Morein
George Middius
Phil Allison
Brian Goldsmith

Re: 100kHz crystal

He's one of the resident pedants, who is obviously inflamed by your use of *m*
instead of *M*.  I'm sure - with the exception of those in your list above -
everyone reading your post  knew what you wanted without making a big hoo-ha.

Re: 100kHz crystal

Well, thank you for clearing that up, rebel.  The jerk in question only had
to point out my error in plain English instead of making an ass of himself.
He earned a one way ticket  to join his boyfriend Phil on Crap Filter
Island.
As I said, life is too short. I prefer actually making stuff to playing the
straight man in other people's Usenet psychodramas.

Thanks again,
Peter Howard.

Re: 100kHz crystal

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo47%8&TabID=1&C=SEO&U=strat15&doy=search

Agreed.

Re: 100kHz crystal

"Peter Howard" wrote in message

Try
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo47%8&TabID=1&C=SEO&U=strat15&doy=search
1Mhz crystal top of the list. Hy-Q can also supply one.

I do have a 2mHz crystal.

***** There is no such thing as a 2mHz crystal.Why do you persist in
perpetuating your error,have a look at the description given by Maplin
above.

Today I breadboarded it with a 4001 as oscillator
and a 4017 decade counter similar to this idea here:
http://myweb.cableone.net/adamsmed2/id6.htm
Result was 200kHz out at about 2V. I think I'm on the right track.

****** Are you really that dense?You breadboarded an oscillator divider
using a 2MHz crystal not a 2mHz crystal.

You really haven't got a clue,have you?

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: 100kHz crystal

Just a small point, the 200kHz waveform most probably wouldn't be 2V, it
would be whatever voltage you are using in your circuit (5V?) but the
multimeter would average it to 2V? I do a bit of experimenting with PICs
and at 5V supply that is exactly what happens when you try to measure
the oscillator voltages with a multimeter, I get a bit above 2V reading
both oscillator pins. It stands to reason but I am not sure why it is
not 2.5V, either the duty cycle of the waveform is not 50% or multimeter
summing is non-linear.

Eugene.

Re: 100kHz crystal

Thanks for the input. I took a quick look with an oscilloscope just to
assure myself that the thing WAS working and it looked to be around 2V
without straining my eyes counting divisions on a 50mm screen. Anyway, a
goodly amount of output. I'll get more scientific when I get the crystal I
want and tidy up my breadboard. Believe me, if I had enough years left in my
life I'd learn to do it with PICs and to heck with those thirty year old
4000 series ICs.

Regards,
Peter Howard.

Site Timeline