1 amp

If a device specifies that it requires power input of 1 amp, is it bad to use an adaptor that supplies 2 amps?

Reply to
Max

No, as long as it is the right Voltage and polarity. Although I should just tell you to type it into a search engine.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Not only is it not bad, it's a good idea. Manufacturers frequently overstate the current that their adapters can supply while maintaining regulation.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I just found this paragraph on a page of the Energy Ratings website:

"Any external power supplies imported into, or manufactured in Australia prior to December 2008 and prior to 9th June 2011 in New Zealand, and held in stock, may continue to be sold or used to provide replacements after this date, however non complying products imported or manufactured after the MEPS start date cannot be sold or supplied."

This would exclude items that were made or imported before 2009, possibly even if they've since been sold between suppliers within Australia.

They're not included in the MEPS regulations, but it may be of interest that the "Embertec" power saving double adapters which were handed out in Victoria, and possibly other states, as part of a number of power saving initiatives, use iron core transformers for their internal power.

How they stand efficiency wise compared to switch mode designs, I don't know, but they appear to use the surge current ability that you mentioned earlier in order to switch the internal latching relay, as this action would require more than the rated transformer current even at minimum voltage. They have three 1000uF caps next to the transformer (in fact so close that I hope the transformer doesn't get very warm).

Warning: Needlessly detailed information follows.

The datasheet for the transfromer (model "BV302D09015") is on this webpage:

Specs are: two windings, each 9V 83mA 0.75VA

The relay is a GRT508EC 1B-5VDC-D, and there's a datasheet for it out there somewhere (I've got it saved, but I'm not sure where from).

5V 19.5R coil (x2, different coils energised for on/off), min 3.5V, min pulse 50ms. Switching 250VAC 16A, single pole.

I collected them as people got rid of them at the same garage sales and Op-Shops where I get the plugpacks. They defaulted after a power outage to turning off your TV if you didn't use the remote within the last hour, so most people got sick of them fairly quickly. The transformer, relay, and current transformer are handy parts to get for $1, and one of the cases came in handy too.

--