000 down after big wind

** Tell me, does this strike you as a bit of a Catch 22 ??

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/02/04/3130528.htm

The phones are still working, but the emergency number goes dead ....

.....  Phil

Re: 000 down after big wind

Isn't 000 all in one location now?

Re: 000 down after big wind

"terryc"

** The 000 call centre was in Aubrey  - last time I heard.

Cause all kinds of absurd mis-understandings on the phone.

But the reason for 000 being out for storm affected areas in North
Queensland is equipment related and deeply mysterious at the moment.

This is a very bad situation, cos most local police, fire and ambo stations
are not properly equipped to handle phone calls direct from the public
relating to emergencies.

Mostly there is only one line and often it is unattended too.

....  Phil

Re: 000 down after big wind

Yep, I always made sure that I specified town and STATE whenever I had
to telephone.

Makes sense/

If you can find any numbers for any emergency service on the white pages.

Re: 000 down after big wind

I don't know about other states, but there is a backup for 000 in
Victoria, where calls are diverted to one of a number of conference
systems depending on the exchange that the call is made from.  These
conference systems are answered by local fire brigade members (usually
volunteers), either on their home phone or their mobile.

Peter

Site Timeline